Brent Council defers decision on relocating England’s only Welsh school
- Credit: Archant
A decision on whether England’s only Welsh primary school can relocate to an unused bowling club in Wembley has been deferred.
The London Welsh School (Ysgol Gymraeg Llundain), in Shakespeare Avenue, Stonebridge, submitted an application to take over the building in King Edward VII Park in Park Lane, which closed in 2013 due to the dwindling numbers of players.
The council wishes to stop the site becoming derelict and officers backed the plan but a planning committee on Tuesday decided to put a final decision on ice.
If the proposals are given the green light changes to the bowling pavilion and adjoining land will include the construction of one extra storey to accommodate staff and pupils.
It will be open between 8am and 4pm during terms times with no off-street parking.
You may also want to watch:
The school, which has 30 pupils aged three to 11, first opened in Willesden in 1958 before moving to Stonebridge.
However with the proposed expansion of Stonebridge Primary School next door, it was told in October to vacate its current premises by this summer.
- 1 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 2 Fenerbahce announce signing of QPR’s Bright Osayi-Samuel
- 3 Brent councillor calls for improved social distancing in supermarkets
- 4 Two arrested in connection with fatal Neasden stabbing
- 5 Man dies after stabbing in Brent
- 6 Woman dies after she was found collapsed in Barham Park
- 7 Wembley tutor takes to Instagram to help with homeschooling
- 8 Fourteen fined for lockdown breach after car meet in Park Royal
- 9 Interactive Harlesden exhibition aims to make art more accessible
- 10 Wealdstone boss Brennan dubbed Gloucester City a 'very ambitious' club
The London Welsh School is the only Welsh speaking school outside of Wales apart from Ysgol yr Hendre in Trelew in Patagonia, Argentina.
The relocation of the school at the bowling pavilion site will allow the continued long term future of the London Welsh School, and its Welsh speaking community in Brent.