Brondesbury Park pupils emerge as champions of Brent Primary School Swimming Gala
- Credit: Archant
A Brondesbury Park junior school made a big splash becoming the new champions of a borough-wide swimming competition.
Some 107 pupils from seven schools took part in the Brent Primary School Swimming Gala at the Willesden Sports Centre last week.
The event took place for the first time in four years thanks to sponsorship from 1Life and support from Brent Sports Partnership.
Swimmers from Malorees Junior School, in Christchurch Avenue, emerged as champions after keenly contesting front crawl, breast-stroke, relay and medley boys and girls races.
Children from Byron Court, Princess Frederica,Islamia, Uxendon Manor, Salusbury and John Keble primary schools also enjoyed the gala, which already has sponsorship commitment from 1Life for next year.
You may also want to watch:
The government has put a focus on swimming, asking schools to provide figures for primary school leavers who are able to swim 25 metres unaided.
Event organiser Mike Cleary, Malorees health & well-being lead, said: “The children had a fantastic time, cheered on by some noisy parents!
- 1 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 2 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 3 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 4 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 5 Kilburn grandmother hears 'terrific bang' as bathroom ceiling collapses
- 6 Wembley Football League supported by Raheem Sterling sees drama on finals day
- 7 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 8 View from the chamber - 'The recycling centre is just inside the new ULEZ boundary'
- 9 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 10 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
“Swimming is a fantastic exercise and we’d love to have even more schools sign-up to enjoy the experience next year.”