Brondesbury Park pupils emerge as champions of Brent Primary School Swimming Gala
- Credit: Archant
A Brondesbury Park junior school made a big splash becoming the new champions of a borough-wide swimming competition.
Some 107 pupils from seven schools took part in the Brent Primary School Swimming Gala at the Willesden Sports Centre last week.
The event took place for the first time in four years thanks to sponsorship from 1Life and support from Brent Sports Partnership.
Swimmers from Malorees Junior School, in Christchurch Avenue, emerged as champions after keenly contesting front crawl, breast-stroke, relay and medley boys and girls races.
Children from Byron Court, Princess Frederica,Islamia, Uxendon Manor, Salusbury and John Keble primary schools also enjoyed the gala, which already has sponsorship commitment from 1Life for next year.
You may also want to watch:
The government has put a focus on swimming, asking schools to provide figures for primary school leavers who are able to swim 25 metres unaided.
Event organiser Mike Cleary, Malorees health & well-being lead, said: “The children had a fantastic time, cheered on by some noisy parents!
- 1 Brent investigating implications of traffic measures court ruling
- 2 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 3 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 4 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 5 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
- 6 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 7 Brent residents face £100 council tax hike for Band D property
- 8 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 9 Wembley grandmother who survived Covid thanks live-in carer
- 10 Man arrested in connection with Neasden murder and two stabbings
“Swimming is a fantastic exercise and we’d love to have even more schools sign-up to enjoy the experience next year.”