Birkbeck to open the UK’s first pop-up university in Willesden Green
- Credit: Archant
The UK’s first ever pop-up university offering talks and workshops will be coming to the borough from next week until the end of May.
Birkbeck will set up a temporary campus on Queens Parade in Willesden Green, to give residents an opportunity to explore new topics and broaden their knowledge.
The university’s undergraduate and postgraduate courses are all taught in the evening to enable students to combine study with daytime commitments such as families or jobs.
Dr Alex Colas, a lecturer in Politics at Birkbeck and a Willesden Green resident, said: “Following on from recent pop-up shops, galleries and cafes in the area, Birkbeck Pop-up will give people a chance to think about new subjects and perhaps reignite that passion for learning that sometimes gets dampened by the daily nine to five.
“We’d love to see as many local people as possible come and join us.”
You may also want to watch:
Each week the events will cover a different theme such as community, technology, science, money or politics and there will be free tea, coffee and wifi throughout the day.
Elayne Coakes, chair of Willesden Green Town Team, added: “We are certain that residents from 16-80+ years of age, will find something that they can feel passionate about in the programme.
- 1 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 2 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 3 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 4 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 5 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 6 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 7 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 8 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 9 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 10 Community vegetable patch in Kilburn under threat
“We welcome them all to come and see the ‘university’ in action and perhaps learn a new skill, or even perhaps to teach their own passion as a session alongside the university courses.”
For more information about the pop-up event which starts on March 18 and will be open Tuesday – Saturday from noon to 8pm visit http://www.bbk.ac.uk/prospective/prospective-events/pop-up-university