Birkbeck to open the UK’s first pop-up university in Willesden Green
- Credit: Archant
The UK’s first ever pop-up university offering talks and workshops will be coming to the borough from next week until the end of May.
Birkbeck will set up a temporary campus on Queens Parade in Willesden Green, to give residents an opportunity to explore new topics and broaden their knowledge.
The university’s undergraduate and postgraduate courses are all taught in the evening to enable students to combine study with daytime commitments such as families or jobs.
Dr Alex Colas, a lecturer in Politics at Birkbeck and a Willesden Green resident, said: “Following on from recent pop-up shops, galleries and cafes in the area, Birkbeck Pop-up will give people a chance to think about new subjects and perhaps reignite that passion for learning that sometimes gets dampened by the daily nine to five.
“We’d love to see as many local people as possible come and join us.”
You may also want to watch:
Each week the events will cover a different theme such as community, technology, science, money or politics and there will be free tea, coffee and wifi throughout the day.
Elayne Coakes, chair of Willesden Green Town Team, added: “We are certain that residents from 16-80+ years of age, will find something that they can feel passionate about in the programme.
- 1 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
- 2 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 3 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 4 Man arrested in connection with Neasden murder and two stabbings
- 5 QPR eager to start climbing the table when they face Derby
- 6 Warburton praises QPR character in win at Cardiff
- 7 Police seek witnesses as Kenton crash victim named as Vimla Matai
- 8 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 9 Woman killed after collision with alleged drunk driver in Kenton
- 10 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
“We welcome them all to come and see the ‘university’ in action and perhaps learn a new skill, or even perhaps to teach their own passion as a session alongside the university courses.”
For more information about the pop-up event which starts on March 18 and will be open Tuesday – Saturday from noon to 8pm visit http://www.bbk.ac.uk/prospective/prospective-events/pop-up-university