An American novelist visits Kingsbury secondary school
- Credit: Archant
An American graphic novelist descended on a Kingsbury secondary school to reveal to students the mystery of writing.
Ian Lendler, author of the Stratford Zoo series, which are based on Shakespearean plays, met Year 8 pupils from Kingsbury High School in Princes Avenue.
He inspired pupils with how graphic novels are put together, how the characters are created and gave inside information on what it takes to get his books ready.
Nancy Facey, a pupil at the school, said: “The best part of the visit was when the author went through Macbeth because it is one of my favourite Shakespeare plays so I found it really interesting to see the way he had adapted the original version to his own.”
Mr Lendler said: “I think it’s important to get students introduced to Shakespeare as early as possible. And if I can make them laugh and get excited about reading, all the better. I love introducing graphic novels to children because I think it is great way to get them reading.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s important for some students to see that writing isn’t some mysterious ‘art’ process. It’s a real skill that can actually get you somewhere in life. I love encouraging students to take their talent seriously, whatever it may be.”
The Stateside author, who met his wife in Kingsbury, added: “Because of my personal connection to the Kingsbury area, I couldn’t have been happier visiting Kingsbury High. It’s huge, old, wildly diverse, chaotic and fun. Exactly like London.”
- 1 Indian food store opens second outlet in Kensal Green
- 2 Queen's Park schoolboy loses leukaemia fight
- 3 Man taken to hospital following fire in Willesden
- 4 Woman and child in hospital after carbon monoxide leak in Harlesden
- 5 Dykes strikes late as QPR down Swansea
- 6 Harlesden couple launch mobile musical funerals during Covid
- 7 QPR motivated by 'nothing to play for' talk says Warburton
- 8 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
- 9 Social enterprise boutique gym opening in Queen's Park on May 17
- 10 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids