An American novelist visits Kingsbury secondary school
- Credit: Archant
An American graphic novelist descended on a Kingsbury secondary school to reveal to students the mystery of writing.
Ian Lendler, author of the Stratford Zoo series, which are based on Shakespearean plays, met Year 8 pupils from Kingsbury High School in Princes Avenue.
He inspired pupils with how graphic novels are put together, how the characters are created and gave inside information on what it takes to get his books ready.
Nancy Facey, a pupil at the school, said: “The best part of the visit was when the author went through Macbeth because it is one of my favourite Shakespeare plays so I found it really interesting to see the way he had adapted the original version to his own.”
Mr Lendler said: “I think it’s important to get students introduced to Shakespeare as early as possible. And if I can make them laugh and get excited about reading, all the better. I love introducing graphic novels to children because I think it is great way to get them reading.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s important for some students to see that writing isn’t some mysterious ‘art’ process. It’s a real skill that can actually get you somewhere in life. I love encouraging students to take their talent seriously, whatever it may be.”
The Stateside author, who met his wife in Kingsbury, added: “Because of my personal connection to the Kingsbury area, I couldn’t have been happier visiting Kingsbury High. It’s huge, old, wildly diverse, chaotic and fun. Exactly like London.”
- 1 Third stabbing in Neasden as murder investigation under way
- 2 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 3 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 4 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 5 Wembley grandmother who survived Covid thanks live-in carer
- 6 Two arrested in connection with fatal Neasden stabbing
- 7 Pensioner dies after crashing into a wall in Kenton
- 8 Man dies after stabbing in Brent
- 9 Disabled Wembley cyclist calls for more inclusivity on Brent's roads
- 10 Woman dies after she was found collapsed in Barham Park