Drive to bite back at loan sharks will take place in Brent
- Credit: Archant
An awareness drive will be launched in Brent next week which aims to bite back at loan sharks by highlighting the dangers of illegal money lending.
Brent and Harrow Trading Standards have teamed up with the England Illegal Money Lending Team to hold a free three-hour workshop which passes on tips on how to spot and report a loan shark.
The session will also teach about the tactics loan sharks use and advise on how and where you to gain access to legitimate and affordable finance.
Simon Legg, Brent and Harrow Trading Standards Service manager, said: “Loan sharks target those who are struggling to get credit through legitimate sources and while they may seem friendly at first, many will later become intimidating, threatening or violent if payments are missed, not to mention the excessive add-on fees and pressure put on which could leave those desperate for help in a worse position than where they started.
“This session is a great opportunity for those who may be on the radar of a loan shark to bite back by finding out how they operate, how they can be reported, what success there has been in prosecuting loan sharks and what other options there are for people who need to borrow money.”
You may also want to watch:
The sessions will take place at Brent Civic Centre in Engineer’s Way, Wembley, on September 6 at 10am.
Anyone who lives or works in Brent or Harrow can attend.
- 1 QPR 'didn't do enough to win the game' in Peterborough defeat
- 2 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 3 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 4 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 7 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 8 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 9 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
To report a loan shark call 0300 5552222 or text 07860 022 116.