Double rapist jailed for life for killing Wembley mother 13 years ago
Killer lived a normal life until he was snared by DNA
A convicted double rapist who went on to strangle his neighbour has been jailed for life today (Friday) - 13 years after her murder.
James Citro, 54, was living in Lancelot Road, Wembley, when he sexually assaulted Nijole Siskeviciene and throttled her using a ligature on October 20, 1998.
Her body was found dumped in a seated position at the back of garages in Lancelot Crescent near their homes.
Citro went on to send the police two letters purporting to be from different witnesses who claimed they saw two black men carrying a woman’s body.
You may also want to watch:
He moved away from the area eventually settling in Weston-Super-Mare where he lived a normal life until he was pulled over for drink-driving and his DNA was taken.
It matched a partial sample obtained from Ms Siskeviciene’s bra last year after her murder was reviewed by a cold case team.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 3 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 4 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 5 Wembley pensioner, 71, off to university with EuroMillions win
- 6 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 7 Join the Craic in Cricklewood as four-day music festival returns to London
- 8 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 9 Mayhew staff cull risk as animal charity is 'restructured'
- 10 Noise abatement notice served against 'silent disco'
Detectives believe he duped the 44-year-old into coming into his home and attacked her.
Forensic evidence showed that her wrists and throat had been restrained and she had been sexually assaulted.
Ms Siskeviciene, who had two sons aged 17 and 27 at the time, moved into a flat several doors away a week before she died.
Citro, who was jailed in 1978 for two rapes committed in his home town of Tipperary in Ireland.
In October, jurors at the Old Bailey found him guilty of murder.
He had previously admitted perverting the course of justice by writing the two letters.
Today he was jailed for life with a minimum tariff of 20 years.
Detective Superintendent Keith Niven said: “With Citro now starting a life term behind bars, he is no longer at liberty to commit any further offences. Although this brings little comfort for their loss, Nijole’s sons are reassured that justice has finally been secured for their mother, and that Citro will not be able to subject any other victims and their families to the pain and suffering they have endured.
“I would now like to appeal to anyone who have been previously subjected to assault by Citro. I can assure you that you will be treated with the utmost of respect and sensitivity and your information will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.”