Doncaster Rovers 2 QPR 0
A CALAMITOUS own goal set the tone as QPR s winless run stretched to eight games on Tuesday at Keepmoat Stadium. Matt Mills hopeful punt into the Rs penalty area prompted panic at the back and, as Radek Cerny advanced, Damion Stewart headed the ball over
A CALAMITOUS own goal set the tone as QPR's winless run stretched to eight games on Tuesday at Keepmoat Stadium.
Matt Mills' hopeful punt into the Rs penalty area prompted panic at the back and, as Radek Cerny advanced, Damion Stewart headed the ball over him to gift Doncaster the lead.
And when Rangers failed to defend a corner just eight minutes later, Paul Heffernan pounced to make it 2-0 and increase the pressure on Paulo Sousa.
A combination of results elsewhere in the Championship kept Sousa's side in with a slim chance of reaching the top six - but in reality they now face a battle to even secure a top half finish.
It might have been a different story had Dexter Blackstock been able to convert one of three headed opportunities in the first half, but two were off target and the third saved by Rovers goalkeeper Neil Sullivan.
Mikele Leigertwood's volley whizzed just over and Samuel Di Carmine and substitute Romone Rose also forced good saves from Sullivan during the second period.
- 1 Call for investment in 'joke' Harlesden park
- 2 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 3 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
- 4 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 5 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 6 Labour accused of 'power grab' move over committee appointments
- 7 Northwick Park NHS Trust still 'requires improvement'
- 8 Second man charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 9 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
But Doncaster might have extended their lead, with Cerny doing well to keep out attempts from Heffernan and Richie Wellens.
QPR: Cerny; Ramage, Stewart, Gorkss (Lopez 52), Connolly; Routledge, Mahon, LEIGERTWOOD* (Miller 79), Alberti (Rose 52); Blackstock, Di Carmine.