Dollis Hill residents celebrate their London in Bloom win with a party
- Credit: Archant
The sun came out as neighbours in Dollis Hill celebrated their horticultural awards win.
Campbell Gordon Way won a Gold Community Award and five stars (Outstanding) in the ‘It’s Your Neighbourhood’ category at the London in Bloom awards on September 22 but waited for the whole community gather for a party on October 7.
Bernard and Anita Fitzpatrick, who lead the horticulture project and its 30 garden club members, wowed judges with their displays of summer bedding, vegetable plots and hanging baskets.
Dawn Butler, MP for Brent Central, the borough’s mayor Cllr Bhagwanji Chohan and Brent Council leader Cllr Muhammed Butt all attended the party.
Mr Fitzpatrick said: “The residents were very happy that Dawn, the mayor and the leader came. It was great to see them come down and acknowledge our win. The children loved the mayor and his shiny chain.
You may also want to watch:
“We had a marquee of international food from within our community - I made an Irish stew, the Brazilians brought their traditional dish, a family from the Philippines made spring rolls which were lovely.
“We ended the day with fireworks. It was really good.”
- 1 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 2 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 3 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 4 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 5 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 6 Brent Council reignites campaign to tackle paan spitting
- 7 QPR boss Mark Warburton unfazed by prospect of losing Ilias Chair
- 8 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 9 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer