Documentary maker Louis Theroux visits the Mayhew Animal Home
- Credit: Archant
Harlesden documentary maker Louis Theroux visited an animal home in Kensal Green today in support of National Dog Adoption Month.
The 44-year-old, who is best known for his television series Louis Theroux’s Weird Weekends and When Louis Met..., highlighted the plight of rescues centres during his tour of the Mayhew Animal Home in Trenmar Gardens.
He was taken by Amazing Grace, a dog who was found on a doorstep starving to death, soaked in her own urine, blind in one eye and desperately weak by a member of the public.
She also has a grade four heart murmur, suffers from anaemia and her stomach was so distended that The Mayhew’s vet team immediately drained off two litres of fluid.
Her cruel owner will escape any action because she was not microchipped.
Mr Theroux said: “Grace’s story is tragic and she really is an amazing dog. It’s a testament to her strength and courage that she’s made it this far after what she’s been through.
“We need places like the Mayhew Animal Home to help thousands of dogs like Grace who desperately need treatment, care and a loving home. So many dogs in the UK are being abused and abandoned which is why we need rescue centres but they are stretched to breaking point.
- 1 Women attacked on way home from night out in Wembley
- 2 Brent scheme helping people with disabilities after Covid
- 3 Four adults and child rescued from roof as blaze destroys flat
- 4 'Grandfather of Kensal Rise': Barber Gee Artrey dies at 86
- 5 Wembley man who used child to sell drugs due in court
- 6 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 7 Girl, 14, sexually assaulted on Tube by man who asked for her Snapchat
- 8 Four LTN schemes could be scrapped in Brent
- 9 We deserved win over West Brom says QPR boss Warburton
- 10 Guilty: North London criminals jailed in December 2021
“That’s why I am delighted to highlight National Adoption Month for dogs who are not quite so lucky at finding a second chance home.”
Test revealed Grace has an intestinal condition called lymphangiectasia; which means that she cannot absorb protein. She is eating but has terrible diarrhoea so she is half the weight she should be.
Her long term prognosis is not clear.
National Adoption Month ends on October 31. For more information about the Mayhew visit mayhew.org.