Deadly Aguero forces QPR to settle for a point against Manchester City

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero hit a brace at Loftus Road

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero hit a brace at Loftus Road - Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images

Kun Aguero struck twice to deny QPR a much needed win as they drew 2-2 with champions Manchester City at Loftus Road.

Charlie Austin put Rangers ahead on 21 minutes before Aguero hit back after 30 minutes.

An own goal from Martin Demichelis then put the home side back in front with 14 minutes remaining but Aguero showed his class to grab his second of the game with seven minutes to go as the Rs were forced to settle for a point.

On five minutes the dangerous Aguero picked up a stray pass from Eduardo Vargas before spinning and firing a shot over the bar from 30-yards.

The in form Charlie Austin was a goal ruled out for offside after getting on the end of a Vargas cross and heading past Joe Hart.

Seconds later, from the resulting free kick, Austin had a second goal ruled out after he fired past Hart again after the England keeper kicked the ball twice. Referee Mike Dean decided to award the City keeper a second attempt at the free kick.

On 14 minutes Austin was again in the thick of the action, getting on the end of a knock down from Bobby Zamora, his shot was turned behind for a corner by Hart as City continued to be put on the back foot in the opening quarter.

Most Read

Austin finally got his reward for his hard work with the opening goal, finishing a flowing move which was started by Richard Dunne who nicked the ball off Aguero and after Vargas found Mauricio Isla wide on the right, the Chilean turned inside Gael Clichy before feeding Austin who took a touch before shooting past Hart into the bottom corner.

City continued to be sloppy in possession but nearly drew level when Yaya Toure fired in a shot from just outside the area but his left footed strike sailed just over the bar.

Just after the half hour mark, Aguero hit his 11th goal of the season. After getting between Dunne and Steven Caulker, he showed superb close control to bring down a long ball from Clichy before shooting left-footed beyond Green.

Just before half time, Hart pulled off two fantastic saves to deny Austin.

At the start of the seconf half, Rs boss Harry Redknapp sent on former City player Joey Barton for Sandro and Rangers nearly went back ahead when Fer got a shot off from the edge of the box but the Dutchman’s shot took a deflection to send it wide.

Both sides then struggled to take control of the game and Manuel Pelligrini’s decision to send on Edin Dezeko backfired when the big Bosnian striker picked up an injury almost immediately and had to be replaced by former Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard.

With Redknapp thinking about sending on a second substitute the game swung back in a favour as Austin delivered a superb cross from the right wing which found Zamora and his header deflected off the unlucky Martin Demichelis past Hart to put the home side 2-1 up on 76 minutes.

City nearly bounced back immediately but Aguero saw his effort blocked by Dunne as it was heading for the net, after he rounded Green. Then Caulker did well to head James Milner’s header off the line.

Toure had a well struck effort saved by Green, before Aguero got City back on level terms again.

In the 83rd minute the Argentine forward found space in the penalty area to bring the ball down on his chest, before checking inside a shooting into the bottom corner.

The draw leaves QPR second from bottom on eight points going into the international break.