MP Dawn Butler: I am deeply concerned with the rise in betting shops
Dawn Butler MP, Brent Central
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Like many Brent residents, I am deeply concerned with the rise in betting and gambling shops appearing on our high streets.
Most recently, permission has been provisionally granted for another shop located on Harlesden High Street, adding to the clustering of these shops in a very small area.
I am proud of our high streets in Brent, with many diverse and independent stores across the borough run by families for generations. However, the prevalence of these betting shops has often given rise to anti-social behaviour.
I want to see action taken to reduce the prevalence of gambling establishments on our wonderful high streets.
That is why next month I will be submitting my case to the government’s Gambling Act Review, calling on an immediate change to the law to give local authorities and communities more control over where these shops are based.
You may also want to watch:
I really would like to hear your opinion on this issue. I want to hear your experience of how having so many betting shops has impacted you and the Brent community. I will submit your personal experiences alongside my submission to show the government the human impact of gambling and gambling stores.
If you would like to have your say, please submit your thoughts at dawnbutler.org.uk/gamblingreview by March 25.
I look forward to hearing from you and please take care.
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 Man admits murdering waiter in Kilburn 38 years ago
- 3 Two men arrested in connection with Jeffrey Wegby killing
- 4 Behind Closed Doors: The high number of Brent evictions
- 5 Pensioner slams Brent Council over 'hell' housing
- 6 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 7 £20,000 reward to find killer of man gunned down in South Kilburn
- 8 'It's yours to keep', Boney M's Liz Mitchell talks NFTs, new old music and a future world tour
- 9 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
- 10 Charlie Cooper guides Wealdstone to victory at King's Lynn Town