Dawn Butler MP celebrates the Deaflympics GB team at the Houses of Parliament
- Credit: Archant
The medal-winning DeaflympicsGB team took a tour around the Houses of Parliament as part of a celebratory reception hosted by Dawn Butler MP.
The 23rd summer Deaflympics event took place in Samsun, Turkey, in July, where Deaflympics GB’s smashed their pre games target by bringing home a nine medal haul.
The team consisted of 63 athletes competing in five sports - athletics, golf, football, swimming and tennis.
The Brent Central MP welcomed the team and representatives from UK Deaf Sport to the event on October 10, which was attended by more than 100 people.
She said: “I was delighted to host the DeaflympicsGB team in Parliament to celebrate their fantastic achievements. The team did the country proud at the Deaflympics with their outstanding nine medals and this was a great opportunity to come together and celebrate their success.
You may also want to watch:
“This reception was a valuable opportunity to raise awareness for deaf sport and our incredible deaf athletes. I will continue to support efforts to increase funding for UK Deaf Sport, to allow our teams to send more athletes and enter more events in the future.
“I was pleased that this event was able to raise awareness for this important aim.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 3 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 4 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 5 Wembley pensioner, 71, off to university with EuroMillions win
- 6 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 7 Join the Craic in Cricklewood as four-day music festival returns to London
- 8 Dawn Butler calls for MP security 'overhaul' after death of David Amess
- 9 Noise abatement notice served against 'silent disco'
- 10 Estranged husband who set wife on fire in Stonebridge jailed