David Cameron presents Brent school with charity award
- Credit: Archant
Prime Minister David Cameron handed the headteacher of a Brent school with an honorary charity award at a special reception in House of Commons.
Barham Primary School picked up a SEWA Pioneer Award from the Conservative MP, hosted by welfare charity Sewa Day, for performing selfless acts of kindness to the community.
This marks the second occasion in which the school, on Danethorpe Rd, Wembley, has been awarded the prize which acknowledges social service projects that create a positive impact on local communities for no reward.
Karen Giles, headteacher at the Wembley school, said: It [the award] is a testament the children and to our ethos, which is to making a conscious effort to alleviate hardship, poverty and also about providing joy to people’s lives.
“Schools across London do these types of things already, and it would be good for more schools to get involved with the charity.”
You may also want to watch:
Arup Ganguly, chairman of Sewa Day said: “The awards are a great opportunity for us to honour true community pioneers: the inspiring groups and individuals who have worked hard to make a real difference in their community.
“I’m delighted that so many young people have embraced the key principles of our initiative; to relieve hardship and poverty, to bring a little joy and to help the environment.”
- 1 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 4 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 7 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 8 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 9 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer