Cup woe continues for Rangers
QPR 1 Port Vale 3 by Ben Kosky NEIL Warnock admitted the Carling Cup was not our priority – and his team proved it as they crashed out to Port Vale at the first hurdle. Warnock made five changes to the side that had hammered Barnsley at the weekend and
QPR 1 Port Vale 3 by Ben Kosky
NEIL Warnock admitted the Carling Cup was 'not our priority' - and his team proved it as they crashed out to Port Vale at the first hurdle.
Warnock made five changes to the side that had hammered Barnsley at the weekend and the reshuffled Rangers were a clear second best to their League Two visitors.
Leon Clarke and Jamie Mackie both squandered early opportunities to put QPR ahead, firing weakly at goalkeeper Stuart Tomlinson, and it was Vale who broke the deadlock on the half-hour mark.
You may also want to watch:
Sean Rigg's deep pass eluded the Rangers defence, enabling Justin Richards to slot the ball beyond Paddy Kenny - and the situation worsened six minutes later when Rigg pounced on Bradley Orr's slip to drill a second into the bottom corner.
Josh Parker could have reduced the deficit as he latched onto Fitz Hall's long ball but hit the outside of the post. But the tie was all but settled three minutes after the restart when Kenny fumbled Doug Loft's effort and the rebound fell kindly for Richards to tap in his second.
- 1 Indian Covid variant found in Brent
- 2 Man arrested and knife found after police chase through Willesden Green
- 3 Two Brent gang members sentenced for £1.1m fraud involvement
- 4 Parents 'not consulted' on restructuring of Brondesbury Park primary school
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Three men arrested and gun seized after Neasden car stop
- 7 Man rushed to hospital after shooting in Dudden Hill
- 8 A full-time dedicated Euros Policing Team will police Wembley Stadium
- 9 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 10 Kingsbury teen appears in court charged with Brent Cross fatal stabbing
Substitute Antonio German got Rangers on the scoresheet just after the hour, scrambling home from a tight angle but, although Mackie went close soon afterwards, a fightback never looked likely.