Woman jailed for stealing hundreds of pounds from 92-year-old in Wembley
- Credit: Archant
A thief who stole hundreds of pounds from a 92-year-old woman in Wembley as she made her way home from the bank been sent to jail.
Diyana Kircheva, 34, targeted her elderly victim after two accomplices spotted her withdrawing £540 from a branch in Wembley High Road.
The trio followed the victim on a bus with one sitting next her where they placed a scarf across her lap and over the bag containing the money before stealing it in August last year.
They were identified through CCTV and their images were circulated.
Kircheva was arrested at Gatwick Airport as she returned to the UK from a trip
You may also want to watch:
She admitted theft and was sentenced to six months in prison at Harrow Crown Court.
Her two accomplices are still at large.
- 1 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 2 Brent Council worker Vithun Illankovan on his time in The Circle
- 3 QPR boss Warburton says they will be prepared for a strong Rotherham side
- 4 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 5 Hope for the Welsh Harp
- 6 Homeless in Brent, Covid and Ramadan support
- 7 Pubs in Kensal reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Six years ago today, it was knocked down - next week the Carlton reopens
- 9 Shops, hairdressers, pub gardens and gyms reopen today
- 10 Brent mother of murdered schoolboy Quamari urges public to report knife crime
DC Neil Giles, from Safer Transport Command, said: “To target an elderly lady and steal her money is a despicable crime for which the custodial sentence is appropriate.
“Please can I advise all members of society not to carry large amounts of cash on public transport if at all possible.
“Crowded buses and trains are the workplace of pickpockets who do not discriminate when it comes to victims.”