Willesden man accused of shooting gunman in revenge attack
Kevin Powell is claimed to have shot Michael Smith outside the Sugar Lounge club in east London
A gunman ordered two men were shot dead after they ruined his 30th birthday party, a court heard.
Nana Oppong, now 31, handed Michael Smith a handgun moments before he blasted two men outside the Sugar Lounge in east London, in May 2010, it is claimed.
Jurors at the Old Bailey were told Patrick Ford, 36, was killed instantly and Eugene Brown, 27, died six weeks later.
After the shooting Mr Smith, 28, was chased and shot in a revenge attack - but miraculously survived.
You may also want to watch:
Kevin Powell, of Harlesden Road, Willesden, who is claimed to have shot Mr Smith, denies attempted murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.
Oppong from Stratford, east London, denies two counts of murder and possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life.
- 1 Indian food store opens second outlet in Kensal Green
- 2 Raheem Sterling sends good luck message ahead of Wembley Super League
- 3 Immigration status forces Brent homeless back on the streets
- 4 Four further arrests in connection with Sven Badzak stabbing
- 5 New Italian restaurant licence in Kensal Green approved
- 6 Cancer Black Care saved from closure with new funding
- 7 The Old Bell reopens in Kilburn with a much larger beer garden
- 8 Queen's Park schoolboy loses leukaemia fight
- 9 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
- 10 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
The court heard revellers had earlier fled the party after Brown, who was also armed, pulled a pistol from his waistband and fired four shots at the ceiling.
Oppong, who was celebrating his birthday, and Smith, had been ‘partners in crime’ during the chaotic scenes said prosecutor William Boyce QC.
Mr Boyce said: “Obviously, Mr Brown broke up Mr Oppong’s party - end of happy birthday.”
Grainy images from the club are said to show Oppong handing a weapon to Smith, before both men head outside to confront Brown.
Smith then shoots both Brown and Ford before running off as Powell, one of Brown’s friends, allegedly gives chase to exact revenge.
Shooting as he chased Smith for more than a quarter of a mile, Powell is said to have finally caught up and shot Smith repeatedly at a bus stop.
Oppong is claimed to have dumped Mr Smith on the doorstep of a hospital before having his hired BMW X6 valeted to destroy forensic evidence.
The trial continues.