Willesden man accused of shooting gunman in revenge attack
Kevin Powell is claimed to have shot Michael Smith outside the Sugar Lounge club in east London
A gunman ordered two men were shot dead after they ruined his 30th birthday party, a court heard.
Nana Oppong, now 31, handed Michael Smith a handgun moments before he blasted two men outside the Sugar Lounge in east London, in May 2010, it is claimed.
Jurors at the Old Bailey were told Patrick Ford, 36, was killed instantly and Eugene Brown, 27, died six weeks later.
After the shooting Mr Smith, 28, was chased and shot in a revenge attack - but miraculously survived.
You may also want to watch:
Kevin Powell, of Harlesden Road, Willesden, who is claimed to have shot Mr Smith, denies attempted murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.
Oppong from Stratford, east London, denies two counts of murder and possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life.
- 1 Two arrested in connection with fatal Neasden stabbing
- 2 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 3 Man dies after stabbing in Brent
- 4 Third stabbing in Neasden as murder investigation under way
- 5 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 6 Fourteen fined for lockdown breach after car meet in Park Royal
- 7 Brent councillor calls for improved social distancing in supermarkets
- 8 MP Dawn Butler: Support available to get through lockdown
- 9 Dozens 'found breaching Covid restrictions' at shisha cafe
- 10 Wembley tutor takes to Instagram to help with homeschooling
The court heard revellers had earlier fled the party after Brown, who was also armed, pulled a pistol from his waistband and fired four shots at the ceiling.
Oppong, who was celebrating his birthday, and Smith, had been ‘partners in crime’ during the chaotic scenes said prosecutor William Boyce QC.
Mr Boyce said: “Obviously, Mr Brown broke up Mr Oppong’s party - end of happy birthday.”
Grainy images from the club are said to show Oppong handing a weapon to Smith, before both men head outside to confront Brown.
Smith then shoots both Brown and Ford before running off as Powell, one of Brown’s friends, allegedly gives chase to exact revenge.
Shooting as he chased Smith for more than a quarter of a mile, Powell is said to have finally caught up and shot Smith repeatedly at a bus stop.
Oppong is claimed to have dumped Mr Smith on the doorstep of a hospital before having his hired BMW X6 valeted to destroy forensic evidence.
The trial continues.