Westbourne Park man who killed rival in Wembley drive-by shooting is jailed for life
- Credit: Archant
A man from Westbourne Park has been jailed for life for the murder of a 20-year-old in a drive-by shooting.
Denny De Silva, 23, of Westbourne Park Road, killed rival Romario Green with a shotgun in Sudbury near Wembley, before trying to escape justice by fleeing to the Costa del Sol.
Mr Green was hit with at least 99 pellets in the chest and throat and bled to death after staggering into a nearby alleyway on July 1 last year.
De Silva and his pals left their burnt-out Ford Focus in Luton, before travelling to Calais via Folkestone and going into hiding in Malaga.
He was arrested on August 9 as a result of a European Arrest Warrant and extradited back to the UK where he went on trial at the Old Bailey last week.
You may also want to watch:
Jurors heard the Ford Focus De Silva and his accomplices were in was found burnt out in Luton on July 5.
The same day police discovered a bag containing four shotgun cartridges at an address linked to a 21 year-old suspect registered on the insurance certificate for the vehicle.
- 1 Brent Council ordered to apologise and pay wheelchair user £27,000
- 2 'It's heartbreaking': Volunteer slams Mayhew Animal Charity plans
- 3 'Unacceptable' failings in Met's handling of missing sisters
- 4 Brent's parks and gardens are big winners of London in Bloom awards
- 5 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 6 QPR boss Warburton 'stunned' by Carabao Cup exit
- 7 Review: Masalchi street food restaurant in Wembley Park
- 8 Brent residents invited to free Question Time event on climate change
- 9 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 10 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
The cartridges were linked to pellets found embedded in the victim’s chest.
A week later police recovered a sawn-off shotgun on a roof outside a flat used by the girlfriend of De Silva’s brother in Westbourne Park.
A 21-year-old suspect, believed to have been the driver at the time of the shooting, has not yet been traced, while the third man in the car remains unidentified.
De Silva had denied murder, possession of a prohibited firearm, and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.
He was found guilty of murder and the judge discharged the jury from returning counts to the other counts.
Sentencing him to a minimum tariff of 27 years, Judge Mark Lucraft told him: “There was a hint underlying this of drugs and territory.
“The shotgun had been shortened and lightened.
“It was used to devastating effect last July.”
Detective Inspector Julie Willats, investigating officer said: “I would like to pay tribute to Romario’s family who have been at court everyday and encouraged the local community to assist us with our investigation. Enquiries are ongoing in relation to locating an outstanding suspect.
“I hope that this sentence offers some comfort to Romario’s family and friends.”
If you have any information about the remaining suspects call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.