Wembley man convicted of attempting to murder police officers in Kingsbury knife attack

Christopher Haughton was on bail for assaulting two policewomen in Streatham when he struck a second time

A Wembley man has been convicted of the attempted murder of two police officers and violently attacking six others during attacks in Kingsbury and south London.

The Old Bailey heard Christopher Haughton, of Milford Gardens, was on bail for assaulting two police officers in Streatham, when he carried out his second attack on officers in Kingsbury Road, on November 19 at 8.40am.

The 33-year-old bit PC Stephen Barker on the arm tearing his fleece before he gathered masonry and other missiles which he hurled at the officers hitting PC Barker on the hand.

He then raced into Kingsbury Road Halal Butchers where he grabbed a knife and stabbed several officers.

PC Tom Harding sustained a wound to his abdomen through his stab vest which perforated his bowel.

PC Ali Hinchliff was slashed across his face when he came to PC Harding’s aid and despite his visible injuries Haughton continued to stab him in his arm.

Most Read

PC Andy Robb was stabbed twice across his left leg and when officers tried to restrain Haughton he managed to stab PC Sham Haque in the neck.

PC Haque was saved from further injury when PC Barker grabbed Haughton’s wrist.

After being restrained and handcuffed Haughton bit PC John Charlton on the leg while he was being transported to Uxbridge Police station.

Three of the officers required surgery for their injuries.

The attack took place while Haughton, who is originally from Streatham, was on bail for a previous attack which took place on October 9.

Officers were called to his bedsit after he assaulted a neighbour who had asked him to turn down his music.

Haughton pushed him down the stairs before marching over to another neighbour’s house and forcefully ejected him from his home.

When police arrived at his bedsit, he refused to let them in and threatened them with a broom handle when they forced their way in.

After he was sprayed with CS spray he punched the officers and bit PC Vicky Vincent on her left thigh so hard he drew blood before he spat the contents into PC Alison Spruce’s face and eyes.

Chief Superintendent Dal Babu, Harrow Borough Commander said: “All the officers involved in the incident put their lives on the line to protect the public and ensure that this dangerous man did not escape.

“I pay tribute to their courage and determination in keeping the people of Harrow safe. Had it not been for their personal bravery, members of the public could have been seriously injured or killed.”

Investigating officer Detective Inspector Keely Smith, of the Homicide and Serious Crime Command, said: “Haughton is a very dangerous and violent man and I am pleased that the overwhelming evidence we were able to present at court has resulted in these convictions today.

“The police officers held onto him and arrested him despite coming under a sustained knife attack. Without the intervention of other officers at the scene who were able to eventually restrain Haughton, the outcome could have been very different.

“This case reminds us all of the risk police officers face everyday as they work to keep London safe.”

Houghton will be sentenced on Thursday.