Wembley fraudster accused of murdering millionaire escort from Marylebone gives evidence in court
- Credit: Archant
A professional fraudster from Wembley accused of murdering a millionaire escort told the Old Bailey that he never intended for her to be harmed.
Rakesh Bhayani, 41, of Chamberlayne Avenue, claims that 49-year-old Carole Waugh, from Marylebone, agreed that he could plunder her assets while she was out of the country.
When she returned, she was to report the cash as missing to the police and receive a reimbursement, jurors heard.
The prosecution claim that Bhayani and Nicholas Kutner, 48, from Kentish Town, killed her so they could spend her money on their luxury lifestyles.
Giving evidence, Bhayani said: “Why would there need to be any harm to Carole Waugh?
“I have never harmed anybody in my whole life.
“Carole Waugh was my friend. To harm her - there were never any thoughts about it in any way, shape, or form - not one.’
- 1 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 2 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 3 Dramatic Dieng equaliser sums up 'crazy game' for QPR boss Beale
- 4 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 5 Goalkeeper Dieng nets late equaliser to save QPR at Sunderland
- 6 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 7 New Kilburn mural to highlight borough's cultural heritage
- 8 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 9 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 10 'Dangerous' uni student jailed for 38 years for 'random' knife attacks
He said that Miss Waugh enjoyed the idea of taking huge financial risks in return for making a potential profit of £500,000
He added that he pressed ahead with the plan even when it looked like he might have to return to prison for using counterfeit Euros.
Bhayani’s 20-year career as a conman involved illegally remortgaging his brother’s home and his parent’s house without them knowing.
But he insisted that Miss Waugh knew she could trust him.
Miss Waugh, who used the name ‘poshtottyfun’ on escort sites, was found dead in a lock-up garage on August 2 last year.
It is claimed she was stabbed to death near her home four months earlier.
Kutner and Bhayani, both deny murder but admit conspiracy to defraud.
Bhayani has admitted conspiracy to pervert the course of justice while Kutner denies the charge.
Elie Khoury, 40, from Paddington, denies one count of conspiracy to defraud.
The trial continues.