Wembley fraudster accused of murdering millionaire escort from Marylebone gives evidence in court
- Credit: Archant
A professional fraudster from Wembley accused of murdering a millionaire escort told the Old Bailey that he never intended for her to be harmed.
Rakesh Bhayani, 41, of Chamberlayne Avenue, claims that 49-year-old Carole Waugh, from Marylebone, agreed that he could plunder her assets while she was out of the country.
When she returned, she was to report the cash as missing to the police and receive a reimbursement, jurors heard.
The prosecution claim that Bhayani and Nicholas Kutner, 48, from Kentish Town, killed her so they could spend her money on their luxury lifestyles.
Giving evidence, Bhayani said: “Why would there need to be any harm to Carole Waugh?
You may also want to watch:
“I have never harmed anybody in my whole life.
“Carole Waugh was my friend. To harm her - there were never any thoughts about it in any way, shape, or form - not one.’
- 1 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 2 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 3 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 4 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 5 Community vegetable patch in Kilburn under threat
- 6 Brent pupils raise £1,000 to support sickle cell sufferers
- 7 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 8 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 9 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
He said that Miss Waugh enjoyed the idea of taking huge financial risks in return for making a potential profit of £500,000
He added that he pressed ahead with the plan even when it looked like he might have to return to prison for using counterfeit Euros.
Bhayani’s 20-year career as a conman involved illegally remortgaging his brother’s home and his parent’s house without them knowing.
But he insisted that Miss Waugh knew she could trust him.
Miss Waugh, who used the name ‘poshtottyfun’ on escort sites, was found dead in a lock-up garage on August 2 last year.
It is claimed she was stabbed to death near her home four months earlier.
Kutner and Bhayani, both deny murder but admit conspiracy to defraud.
Bhayani has admitted conspiracy to pervert the course of justice while Kutner denies the charge.
Elie Khoury, 40, from Paddington, denies one count of conspiracy to defraud.
The trial continues.