Wembley fraudster accused of murdering millionaire escort from Marylebone gives evidence in court
- Credit: Archant
A professional fraudster from Wembley accused of murdering a millionaire escort told the Old Bailey that he never intended for her to be harmed.
Rakesh Bhayani, 41, of Chamberlayne Avenue, claims that 49-year-old Carole Waugh, from Marylebone, agreed that he could plunder her assets while she was out of the country.
When she returned, she was to report the cash as missing to the police and receive a reimbursement, jurors heard.
The prosecution claim that Bhayani and Nicholas Kutner, 48, from Kentish Town, killed her so they could spend her money on their luxury lifestyles.
Giving evidence, Bhayani said: “Why would there need to be any harm to Carole Waugh?
You may also want to watch:
“I have never harmed anybody in my whole life.
“Carole Waugh was my friend. To harm her - there were never any thoughts about it in any way, shape, or form - not one.’
- 1 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 2 Brent Council worker Vithun Illankovan on his time in The Circle
- 3 Homeless in Brent, Covid and Ramadan support
- 4 Brent mother of murdered schoolboy Quamari urges public to report knife crime
- 5 QPR boss Warburton praises hard-working Dykes
- 6 Wembley Stadium wins approval to hold more events
- 7 Lessons from the Covid pandemic: we need a revolution!
- 8 Six years ago today, it was knocked down - next week the Carlton reopens
- 9 Brent arts organisations awarded over £1m in Covid recovery funding
- 10 Brent Council to issue water bill refunds to council tenants
He said that Miss Waugh enjoyed the idea of taking huge financial risks in return for making a potential profit of £500,000
He added that he pressed ahead with the plan even when it looked like he might have to return to prison for using counterfeit Euros.
Bhayani’s 20-year career as a conman involved illegally remortgaging his brother’s home and his parent’s house without them knowing.
But he insisted that Miss Waugh knew she could trust him.
Miss Waugh, who used the name ‘poshtottyfun’ on escort sites, was found dead in a lock-up garage on August 2 last year.
It is claimed she was stabbed to death near her home four months earlier.
Kutner and Bhayani, both deny murder but admit conspiracy to defraud.
Bhayani has admitted conspiracy to pervert the course of justice while Kutner denies the charge.
Elie Khoury, 40, from Paddington, denies one count of conspiracy to defraud.
The trial continues.