University Challenge contestant from Kensal Rise faces rape retrial
- Credit: PA
Jurors failed to reach verdicts last week on charges of rape and sexual assault regarding an incident at York University in June 2014.
Bartholomeo Joly de Lotbiniere, 21, went on trial at York Crown Court earlier this month over an alleged incident at a halls of residence at York University.
After deliberating for almost 10 hours, the jury of eight men and four women was unable to reach verdicts on a charge of rape and sexual assault, which were denied by Joly de Lotbiniere.
A brief hearing at York Crown Court on Thursday heard that Joly de Lotbiniere will stand trial again on September 18.
Judge Paul Batty QC said that, due to listing issues, the new trial will be held at Bradford Crown Court.
You may also want to watch:
Joly de Lotbiniere, of Kensal Rise, north-west London, appeared six times on the BBC2 quiz representing York. He was not in court for today’s hearing.
He is now studying for a Masters degree at University College London.
- 1 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 2 QPR boss Warburton says they will be prepared for a strong Rotherham side
- 3 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 4 Brent Council worker Vithun Illankovan on his time in The Circle
- 5 Hope for the Welsh Harp
- 6 Pubs in Kensal reopen after Covid lockdown
- 7 Homeless in Brent, Covid and Ramadan support
- 8 Shops, hairdressers, pub gardens and gyms reopen today
- 9 Six years ago today, it was knocked down - next week the Carlton reopens
- 10 Brent mother of murdered schoolboy Quamari urges public to report knife crime