University Challenge contestant from Kensal Rise faces rape retrial
- Credit: PA
Jurors failed to reach verdicts last week on charges of rape and sexual assault regarding an incident at York University in June 2014.
Bartholomeo Joly de Lotbiniere, 21, went on trial at York Crown Court earlier this month over an alleged incident at a halls of residence at York University.
After deliberating for almost 10 hours, the jury of eight men and four women was unable to reach verdicts on a charge of rape and sexual assault, which were denied by Joly de Lotbiniere.
A brief hearing at York Crown Court on Thursday heard that Joly de Lotbiniere will stand trial again on September 18.
Judge Paul Batty QC said that, due to listing issues, the new trial will be held at Bradford Crown Court.
Joly de Lotbiniere, of Kensal Rise, north-west London, appeared six times on the BBC2 quiz representing York. He was not in court for today’s hearing.
He is now studying for a Masters degree at University College London.
- 1 Wembley: Anger as council 'bullies' opposition over library demolition
- 2 Primary school pupils approached by 'man in a van' in attempted abduction
- 3 Parents lobby for improved road safety on Harrow Road
- 4 Brondesbury Park Synagogue gets licence for alcohol and music until midnight
- 5 New Willesden kebab shop promises 40 jobs to locals
- 6 Guilty: Man killed father who defended son from knife attack in Willesden
- 7 Bid for amazing prizes to support Queen's Park and Kensal charities
- 8 Cricklewood man appears in court accused of Golders Green rape
- 9 Wembley man, 18, used schoolboy to sell drug-infused sweets
- 10 Jailed: Brent gangsters who shot a man in his stomach at close range