University Challenge contestant from Kensal Rise faces rape retrial
- Credit: PA
Jurors failed to reach verdicts last week on charges of rape and sexual assault regarding an incident at York University in June 2014.
Bartholomeo Joly de Lotbiniere, 21, went on trial at York Crown Court earlier this month over an alleged incident at a halls of residence at York University.
After deliberating for almost 10 hours, the jury of eight men and four women was unable to reach verdicts on a charge of rape and sexual assault, which were denied by Joly de Lotbiniere.
A brief hearing at York Crown Court on Thursday heard that Joly de Lotbiniere will stand trial again on September 18.
Judge Paul Batty QC said that, due to listing issues, the new trial will be held at Bradford Crown Court.
You may also want to watch:
Joly de Lotbiniere, of Kensal Rise, north-west London, appeared six times on the BBC2 quiz representing York. He was not in court for today’s hearing.
He is now studying for a Masters degree at University College London.
- 1 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 2 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 3 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 4 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 5 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 6 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 7 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 8 More images released after 'violence and disorder' at Euro 2020 final at Wembley
- 9 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 10 Tom Dean wins second Tokyo 2020 gold with 4x200m relay victory