University Challenge contestant from Kensal Rise faces rape retrial
- Credit: PA
Jurors failed to reach verdicts last week on charges of rape and sexual assault regarding an incident at York University in June 2014.
Bartholomeo Joly de Lotbiniere, 21, went on trial at York Crown Court earlier this month over an alleged incident at a halls of residence at York University.
After deliberating for almost 10 hours, the jury of eight men and four women was unable to reach verdicts on a charge of rape and sexual assault, which were denied by Joly de Lotbiniere.
A brief hearing at York Crown Court on Thursday heard that Joly de Lotbiniere will stand trial again on September 18.
Judge Paul Batty QC said that, due to listing issues, the new trial will be held at Bradford Crown Court.
You may also want to watch:
Joly de Lotbiniere, of Kensal Rise, north-west London, appeared six times on the BBC2 quiz representing York. He was not in court for today’s hearing.
He is now studying for a Masters degree at University College London.
- 1 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 2 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 3 Pictures: Snow arrives covering Gladstone Park and Neasden Temple
- 4 Brent investigating implications of traffic measures court ruling
- 5 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 6 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
- 7 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 8 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 9 Wembley grandmother who survived Covid thanks live-in carer
- 10 Brent residents face £100 council tax hike for Band D property