Two men arrested over Harlesden drive-by shooting murder are bailed
- Credit: Archant
Detectives have bailed two men arrested in connection with the murder of an innocent bystander in a drive-by shooting in Harlesden.
Oliver Tetlow, 27, from Harlesden, died after a gunman opened fire in Church Road on Wednesday at around 10pm.
The killer used a ‘high-powered weapon’ believed to be an ‘Uzi’ before fleeing in a dark coloured car with blacked out windows.
A 29-year-old man was arrested in Shepherd’s Bush on suspicion of murder and an 18-year-old was held in Harlesden on suspicion of robbery.
The older man has been bailed to return to a police station in mid June and the teenager bailed until mid May.
Detectives investigating the killing are looking into claims the murder is gang-related after a video showing gang members from the Church End Estate taunting their rivals in South Kilburn was posted online.
The footage shows a man holding a gold watch and several pieces of jewellery which is believed to have been robbed from a South Kilburn rival.
- 1 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 2 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 3 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 4 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 5 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 6 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 7 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 8 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 9 Call for pictures of your Platinum Jubilee street parties and celebrations
- 10 Abba Voyage: A spectacular trip into an enchanted world
Detective Chief Inspector Mark Lawson, who is leading the murder hunt, has appealed to anyone who may have images or footage of the shooting to contact the incident room or Crimestoppers.
He said: “The investigation to identify and arrest those responsible for this senseless murder is moving at a very fast pace, and I would like to thank everyone who has so far come forward and spoken to the police.
“At this early stage in the investigation, we are exploring that the shooting was gang related - however I am satisfied that the victim was not the intended target and this was a tragic case of mistaken identity.
“Early indications are that shots were fired from an automatic weapon, although a firearm has not been recovered so we cannot speculate on the exact type.
“We do know that the victim was shot by a male who got out of a dark coloured vehicle. After the shooting, this vehicle then travelled south along Church Street towards Harlesden Town Centre. I would like to hear from anyone who saw a vehicle which perhaps caught their attention.
“We are aware of information about the murder which is circulating via social media, and I would appeal to anyone who has information which could assist the investigation to contact police.”
Anyone who witnessed the incident or has any information is asked to contact police on 020 8358 0200 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.