Two companies fined after worker falls off ladder in Park Royal depot
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
AAA Linen Services in Sunbeam Road, and Laundryquip LLP, from Northamptonshire, convicted of safety failings
Two companies have been fined for breaching safety laws after a woman fell from a ladder while working in a depot in Park Royal.
The employee of AAA Linen Services in Sunbeam Road, was trying to clear a blockage in an industrial-sized laundry machine when the accident resulted in her shattering her left ankle.
Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard the 41-year-old needed 13 screws inserted in her foot to help repair the damage and has been unable to work since.
The incident, which took place in December 2010, was investigated by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), and yesterday AAA Linen and the supplier of the machine, Laundryquip LLP, from Northamptonshire, were prosecuted for safety failings.
Laundryquip LLP was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £16,500 in costs after being found guilty of a breach of Section 6(3) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
AAA Linen Services Ltd entered a guilty plea in August last year to a breach of Section 2(1) of the same Act between 29 October and 20 December 2010.
- 1 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 2 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 3 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 4 Second man charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 5 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Jailed: 7 north London offenders put behind bars in April
- 8 Report shows how much councils spend on electric vehicle chargers
- 9 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 10 ‘Hello, Wembley’: New stage launch kicks off summer of live music
The firm was also fined £5,000 with £4,500 to pay in costs.
Nick Fry, HSE Inspector said: “All work at height must be properly planned, organised and carried out by competent persons. Measures need to be put in place to avoid, prevent or reduce the risks of falls.
“Falls from height remain the single biggest cause of workplace deaths and one of the main causes of injury.”