Tributes paid by friends of a teenager stabbed to death in Harlesden

David Headlam was stabbed to death in Harlesden

David Headlam was stabbed to death in Harlesden - Credit: Archant

Friends have paid tribute to a teenager from Willesden who was chased and stabbed to death in Harlesden during a violence-fuelled weekend in Brent.

David Alexander Headlam, 18, was murdered on Sunday morning two hours before a non-fatal shooting less than a mile away outside a nightclub in Park Royal.

On Saturday morning a 24-year-old man was stabbed in Harlesden High Street.

His injuries are not life-threatening.

Detectives are not linking the incidents and police patrols have been increased in the area to reassure residents.

Mr Headlam was attacked by two hooded men who chased him from Park Parade into Drayton Road, where they stabbed him in the thigh at about 1.10am. He died two hours later in hospital.

Ryan Wynter, 21, told the Times he had known Mr Headlam from the age of four as they both attended Saint Andrew & Saint Francis C of E Primary School, in Belton Road, and Capital City Academy in Doyle Gardens, both in Willesden.

Most Read

He said: “He was my best friend when we were in primary school, and I am completely shocked and angry to hear of his death. I did not believe it at first. I kept looking at his picture in disbelief.

Mr Headlam is the son of Bishop Alonzo Headlam, the leader of the World Vision Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ.

“He was very religious,” Mr Wynter said. “Because he was so dedicated to Christianity he knew what was right and wrong.

“We went on a school trip to Germany and shared a room. He was having a hard time and I heard him crying so I asked him why. From that moment, our friendship grew. I am angry; I do not understand why someone would do that. To take a knife and stab him? That is not right. I know he would not cause any problems because he was a genuinely good guy.”

Another friend, who asked not to be named, said: “I am gutted to hear the news. I can’t believe it

“He was very quiet and humble. He would only speak to people he knew.”

Residents in Drayton Road rushed out to help Mr Headlam after hearing his screams. Noureddine Maslouh said: “When I heard the screams I thought kids were just playing on the street. I looked out to the street a saw a car zoom past in the opposite direction.

‘‘It is really sad and shocking. When I heard that he died, the picture of that night instantly comes back to my mind.”

Anyone with information about Mr Headlam’s murder should call the incident room on 020 8358 0100 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.