Teen, 15, found guilty of Quamari Barnes murder
- Credit: Archant
A 15-year-old boy has been found guilty of stabbing popular schoolboy Quamari Serunkuma-Barnes to death outside his school in Willesden.
The klller ambushed 15-year-old Quamari in a “deliberate and planned attack” outside the Capital City Academy in Doyle Gardens on January 23.
The teenage boy, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was found guilty of murder by a jury at the Old Bailey this morning and will be sentenced at the same court on September 4.
The jury heard the masked killer, dressed in dark clothing, had been loitering and peering through the school gates.
Quamari who had left school laughing and joking with friends, saw his attacker and tried to run shouting for help but the killer chased him, grabbed him, and stabbed him multiple times before fleeing.
The victim, described as a shining star by his family, was taken to hospital where he told a nurse that he recognised the face of the knifeman and gave his first name.
Doctors initially thought he would survive, but four hours later he died after suffering internal bleeding and a cardiac arrest.
- 1 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 3 School turns itself around after 'sexual bullying' reports
- 4 Neasden pub refused late licence amid fears around crime
- 5 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 6 Man arrested after woman's rape allegation in Neasden
- 7 Hundreds of young musicians to gather in Wembley for concert
- 8 Rogue Wembley HGV trainer sentenced after selling non-existent training
- 9 Hospital's new research centre officially opened by vaccine taskforce lead
- 10 Most wanted: 6 people sought in connection with 10 robberies across London
The killer was also recognised by a schoolgirl witness, who contacted him on her phone.
Detectives arrested him at home in Norbury on January 24, charging him with murder two days later. He has consistently refused say why he carried out the attack.
DCI Jamie Stevenson from the homicide and major crime command said: “This was a deliberate and planned attack on a defenceless schoolboy as he made is way home laughing and joking with friends.
“Quamari didn’t stand a chance that day. He was outrun by his attacker who had an advantage over his victim in that he was an adept runner and was able to quickly catch up with Quamari.
“We believe that Quamari was desperately trying to make his way back to school to seek refuge but sadly he never made it.
“Many of the schoolchildren who witnessed the attack initially thought the two boys were messing around. Little did they know that within a matter of minutes Quamari would be lying helplessly on the ground fighting for his life. Those that witnessed the events have been left completely devastated by the loss of their friend.
“Quamari was well liked amongst his peers and six months on from his murder the loss is still felt. This was a senseless attack; Quamari had his whole life ahead of him.
“He was a year 11 pupil and was in the latter stages of preparing for his GCSE’s. His friends have gone on to recently sit their exams, something Quamari was never able to do and his family have been denied the opportunity to know what their son and brother would have gone on to become.
“I am pleased that the jury has reached the decision that they have. While today’s verdict will never bring Quamari back I hope that it provides his family and friends with a small measure of solace.”