Sudbury murder: Trial of man accused of killing Romario Green begins
- Credit: Archant
A killer fled to Spain after blasting a rival in the chest with a sawn-off shotgun in a street in Sudbury, a court heard.
Denny De Silva, 23, is claimed to have shot dead 20 year-old Romario Green in a ‘targeted attack’ near The Swan pub in Harrow Road on July 2 last year.
The Old Bailey heard Mr Green was hit with at least 99 pellets in the chest and throat and bled to death after staggering into a nearby alleyway.
CCTV footage showed Mr Green brandishing a knife while chasing after a car containing De Silva and two other men shortly before he was shot, jurors were told.
Prosecutor Anthony Orchard QC told jurors: “This was a targeted attack as a result of at least one or two incidents between two groups of youths.”
Mr Green, who used the street name ‘Mario’, had spent the evening with friends on the nearby Fishers Way estate before they ‘came into contact’ with De Silva and his pals, who were driving a silver Ford Focus, the court heard.
Police investigations show the car travelled to Luton, where De Silva lived, in the early hours July 2.
- 1 QPR ground name to revert to Loftus Road for 2022-23
- 2 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 3 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 4 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 5 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 6 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 7 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 8 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 9 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 10 Jailed: 7 north London offenders put behind bars in April
It was found burnt out three days later,
The same day police discovered a bag containing four shotgun cartridges at an address linked to a 21 year-old suspect registered on the insurance certificate for the car.
The cartridges were linked to Mr Green’s killing, the court heard.
A week later police recovered a sawn-off shotgun outside a flat used by the girlfriend of De Silva’s brother in Westbourne Park, it is claimed.
De Silva was arrested in Spain in August last year.
He denies murder, possession of a prohibited firearm, and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.
The trial continues.