Stonebridge teen jailed for Harlesden train station shooting wins appeal

Samuel Woods has won his appeal

Samuel Woods has won his appeal - Credit: Archant

Samuel Woods has had his potential life sentence overturned

Victim was attacked outside Harlesden train station

Victim was attacked outside Harlesden train station - Credit: Archant

A Stonebridge teenager jailed for his role in the shooting of a footballer in Harlesden train station has had his potential life sentence overturned.

Samuel Woods, of Windrush Road, was convicted of attempted murder at Blackfriars Crown Court in November, 2011, and handed down an open-ended detention order for public protection - which is almost identical to a life sentence.

The 18-year-old had summoned Jordan Gabbidon, 17, of Greenwood Terrace, also in Stonebridge, to the station where they blasted the 27-year-old victim on the platform following an argument with the victim and his friends on March 9, 2011.

Ola Salau, 19, of Nettleden Avenue, Wembley, and Chantelle Franklin, 18, from Marylebone, were also convicted for their role .

Lord Justice Jackson said a football “street initiative” went horribly wrong when Woods and others attacked players visiting from south London.

The judge said: “Woods threw a rock. One of the footballers threw a chain. Both missiles hit no one. There is evidence from two witnesses that Woods was shouting out ‘I am going to kill you. I am going to shoot you.”

Most Read

Today, senior judges upheld a bid by Woods to have his indefinite sentence quashed at London’s Court of Appeal, replacing it with a 12 and a half-year detention term.

Gabbidon, who fired the shot, was convicted of attempted murder and detained indefinitely for public protection.

Salau was found guilty of possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence and jailed for six years.

Franklin was convicted of the firearm charge and of perverting the course of justice, having lied to the police. She was detained in a young offenders institution for five years.

The court rejected an appeal by Gabbidon against his conviction and sentence, as well as appeals by Salau and Franklin against their convictions.