Stonebridge shooting: Victim ‘Jay’, 24, described as ‘lovely kid’ – as neighbours tell of gang violence fears
- Credit: Archant
The shooting of a young man in Stonebridge could indicate a return to previous levels of gang violence, neighbours told the Times today.
A 24-year-old man, known locally as “Jay”, was found with gunshot wounds on Lawrence Avenue at about 8.30pm yesterday and is now fighting for his life.
Some people believe the shooting could be related to the long-standing rivalry between gangs from the Church End and Stonebridge estates.
Raymond Meikle, 48, said: “I love that kid. I knew him growing up and he is a lovely kid.
“If you check his record, he should be clean.”
He added he believed Jay had a friend visiting at the time of the attack and that the shot may not have been intended for him.
Another resident also described Jay as a good person who kept to himself.
- 1 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 2 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 3 Dramatic Dieng equaliser sums up 'crazy game' for QPR boss Beale
- 4 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 5 Goalkeeper Dieng nets late equaliser to save QPR at Sunderland
- 6 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 7 New Kilburn mural to highlight borough's cultural heritage
- 8 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 9 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 10 'Dangerous' uni student jailed for 38 years for 'random' knife attacks
He added: “Sometimes people get shot and aren’t even involved – they’re just in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
The rivalry between the two Brent gangs previously claimed the life of an innocent bystander in 2016, as reported in the Times.
Joseph Salim, 58, said he feared the incident could mark a return to the crime levels of the ’70s and ’80s, when Stonebridge was notorious for its level of gun crime.
He said: “One of the problems is that new developments in Stonebridge are congesting the area and bringing in the wrong type of people.
“Over there, they’re developing two or three hundred flats and it’s going to go back to how it was in the old days.”
Jenny Ferguson, 70, said: “It’s been years since we have had a shooting. We’ve had little crime like that on the estate and it’s a bit of a shock.”
She added: “It’s very sad and I wish him well – that’s all we can pray for.
“I feel for his mother too. She was hysterical.”
But one resident, who wished to remain anonymous, insisted the incident was just business as usual.
They said: “Things like this are 10 a penny around here, it’s just not normally reported.”
No arrests have been made and the weapon has not been recovered.
Det Sgt Lee Janes, of the Met’s gang unit Trident, said: “I want to assure the community that we are doing everything we can to catch those responsible.
“At this early stage we believe multiple suspects were involved and are retaining an open mind as to any motive.
“I know there were many witnesses at the scene and I would urge anyone, who hasn’t come forward already, to get in touch.”
Less than two hours after the shooting, a 26-year-old man was stabbed just over a mile away in Rainborough Close, Neasden.
Police and medics were called to the scene at 10.20pm and the victim was taken to hospital. His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.
No arrests have been made.
Anyone with information about the shooting can call Trident officers by calling 101 and quoting CAD 7921 of May 31. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.