South Kilburn youths given an inspirational talk by grieving parents
Mother and father of young man murdered 10 years ago set up trust in his honour
Youths from one of the borough’s most deprived housing estates were given an inspirational talk from the family of a murdered teenager last week.
The talk, held at the OK club in Denmark Road, South Kilburn, was provided by the parents of Chris Donovan, who was murdered in New Malden in Surrey 10 years ago at the age of 18.
His father and mother, Ray and Violet set up the Chris Donovan Trust in his honour and Mr Donovan said the evening was essential in showing youths the devastating effects crime can have.
He said: “It was a very successful evening, people were asking questions and were really captivated which is exactly what we wanted.”
You may also want to watch:
Around 40 members of the club and youths from the estate attended the talk which also marked the release of the trust’s book ‘Five Minutes of Madness’.
He added: “Some of what was discussed was hard hitting, but it’s important to show people that in just a few moments of stupidity hundreds of lives could change forever.”
- 1 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 2 Brent Council writes off nearly £2m owed in bad debts
- 3 Hope for the Welsh Harp
- 4 QPR boss Warburton says they will be prepared for a strong Rotherham side
- 5 Pubs in Kensal reopen after Covid lockdown
- 6 Kilburn welcomes back eager gym-goers
- 7 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 8 Kilburn High Road traders see a slow return to business on April 12
- 9 Homeless in Brent, Covid and Ramadan support
- 10 Two 17-year-old boys shot and stabbed in Kingsbury
Roger Foster-Smith, chairman of the OK club said bringing the trusts message to an area such as South Kilburn was essential.
He said: “The trusts message is very clear in that it only takes a few seconds to commit an act that could cause a lifetime of regret.
“I think its very fitting that we bought their story to an area like South Kilburn which has had a history of gang warfare.”
The book is available to order online at www.chrisdonovantrust.org or you can email the trust at firstname.lastname@example.org.