South Kilburn youths given an inspirational talk by grieving parents
Mother and father of young man murdered 10 years ago set up trust in his honour
Youths from one of the borough’s most deprived housing estates were given an inspirational talk from the family of a murdered teenager last week.
The talk, held at the OK club in Denmark Road, South Kilburn, was provided by the parents of Chris Donovan, who was murdered in New Malden in Surrey 10 years ago at the age of 18.
His father and mother, Ray and Violet set up the Chris Donovan Trust in his honour and Mr Donovan said the evening was essential in showing youths the devastating effects crime can have.
He said: “It was a very successful evening, people were asking questions and were really captivated which is exactly what we wanted.”
You may also want to watch:
Around 40 members of the club and youths from the estate attended the talk which also marked the release of the trust’s book ‘Five Minutes of Madness’.
He added: “Some of what was discussed was hard hitting, but it’s important to show people that in just a few moments of stupidity hundreds of lives could change forever.”
- 1 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 2 New QPR signing Moses Odubajo's story so far
- 3 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 4 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 5 Head of school attended by Tom Dean, Zadie Smith and Rachel Yankey set to retire
- 6 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 7 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 8 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 9 More images released after 'violence and disorder' at Euro 2020 final at Wembley
- 10 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
Roger Foster-Smith, chairman of the OK club said bringing the trusts message to an area such as South Kilburn was essential.
He said: “The trusts message is very clear in that it only takes a few seconds to commit an act that could cause a lifetime of regret.
“I think its very fitting that we bought their story to an area like South Kilburn which has had a history of gang warfare.”
The book is available to order online at www.chrisdonovantrust.org or you can email the trust at email@example.com.