South Kilburn youths given an inspirational talk by grieving parents
Mother and father of young man murdered 10 years ago set up trust in his honour
Youths from one of the borough’s most deprived housing estates were given an inspirational talk from the family of a murdered teenager last week.
The talk, held at the OK club in Denmark Road, South Kilburn, was provided by the parents of Chris Donovan, who was murdered in New Malden in Surrey 10 years ago at the age of 18.
His father and mother, Ray and Violet set up the Chris Donovan Trust in his honour and Mr Donovan said the evening was essential in showing youths the devastating effects crime can have.
He said: “It was a very successful evening, people were asking questions and were really captivated which is exactly what we wanted.”
You may also want to watch:
Around 40 members of the club and youths from the estate attended the talk which also marked the release of the trust’s book ‘Five Minutes of Madness’.
He added: “Some of what was discussed was hard hitting, but it’s important to show people that in just a few moments of stupidity hundreds of lives could change forever.”
- 1 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 2 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 3 Swan stops train in its track at Kensal Rise
- 4 Brent Council reignites campaign to tackle paan spitting
- 5 Harlesden community garden wins two London in Bloom awards
- 6 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 7 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 8 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 9 FA Cup defeat ranks among one of the most 'gutting' for Wealdstone
- 10 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
Roger Foster-Smith, chairman of the OK club said bringing the trusts message to an area such as South Kilburn was essential.
He said: “The trusts message is very clear in that it only takes a few seconds to commit an act that could cause a lifetime of regret.
“I think its very fitting that we bought their story to an area like South Kilburn which has had a history of gang warfare.”
The book is available to order online at www.chrisdonovantrust.org or you can email the trust at firstname.lastname@example.org.