South Kilburn youths given an inspirational talk by grieving parents
Mother and father of young man murdered 10 years ago set up trust in his honour
Youths from one of the borough’s most deprived housing estates were given an inspirational talk from the family of a murdered teenager last week.
The talk, held at the OK club in Denmark Road, South Kilburn, was provided by the parents of Chris Donovan, who was murdered in New Malden in Surrey 10 years ago at the age of 18.
His father and mother, Ray and Violet set up the Chris Donovan Trust in his honour and Mr Donovan said the evening was essential in showing youths the devastating effects crime can have.
He said: “It was a very successful evening, people were asking questions and were really captivated which is exactly what we wanted.”
You may also want to watch:
Around 40 members of the club and youths from the estate attended the talk which also marked the release of the trust’s book ‘Five Minutes of Madness’.
He added: “Some of what was discussed was hard hitting, but it’s important to show people that in just a few moments of stupidity hundreds of lives could change forever.”
- 1 Kingsbury mandir to be 'Europe's first' vaccine centre in Hindu temple
- 2 Mum's 'desperate' fundraiser as 15 families face eviction in Stonebridge
- 3 Gang member jailed for 18 years after hiding guns and drugs in Cricklewood
- 4 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 5 Election candidate 'should be disqualified' for lockdown visit, say opposition
- 6 Maida Vale woman launches petition after kitten bought online dies
- 7 Estate agents volunteer at Wembley Park's Covid vaccine centre
- 8 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 9 Police seek witnesses as Kenton crash victim named as Vimla Matai
- 10 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
Roger Foster-Smith, chairman of the OK club said bringing the trusts message to an area such as South Kilburn was essential.
He said: “The trusts message is very clear in that it only takes a few seconds to commit an act that could cause a lifetime of regret.
“I think its very fitting that we bought their story to an area like South Kilburn which has had a history of gang warfare.”
The book is available to order online at www.chrisdonovantrust.org or you can email the trust at firstname.lastname@example.org.