Sentenced: Westminster Council tenant and illegal subtenant convicted of fraud
- Credit: Archant
A man and a woman who pretended to be a couple to hide their council flat subletting scam from Westminster Council have been convicted in a landmark case.
Raymond Whittard had been illegally renting his council flat in Cuthbert House on the Hall Park Estate, Paddington, to Sharon Smith since at least 2010.
This is the first time a tenant and a subtenant have both been hauled before the courts.
When fraudbusters from Westminster Council started asking question the pair pretended to be a couple despite Smith living at the flat with her boyfriend and Whittard living in a house he bought in Altringham, Cheshire.
An investigation uncovered the truth and police raided their homes and arrested them for fraud offences.
You may also want to watch:
Both admitted the charges and on Monday Smith was given a nine months suspended jail sentence and ordered to carry out 140 hours community work.
Whittard received a 10 month suspended sentence and must do 150 hours community work.
- 1 Vigil held in Barn Hill for murdered sisters Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman
- 2 Two men charged with murder in connection with missing pensioner with links to Willesden
- 3 Missing 12-year-old boy from Kilburn found 'safe and well'
- 4 Childhood friends launch their first Their Story Film Festival in Kilburn
- 5 'Residents are going through hell as a result of flooding'
- 6 QPR boss Warburton excited for competitive football to return with fans
- 7 'Brave new streets of London' – photo collection captures a city under Covid
- 8 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 9 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 10 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
Cllr Daniel Astaire, Westminster Council’s cabinet member for housing and regeneration for Westminster Council, said: “This landmark case just demonstrates the extraordinary lengths people will go to commit fraud. Every property that is unlawfully sublet deprives a family of housing and makes the waiting list longer. Fraudsters of this nature put a tremendous strain on council resources at this time of reductions in council budgets and we are doing all we can to tackle this activity in Westminster.”