Semi-professional footballer from Neasden targeted woman in drunken ‘N-word’ rant

Wealdstone midfielder Michael Corcoran

Wealdstone midfielder Michael Corcoran - Credit: Archant

A semi-professional footballer from Neasden was pulled from a match after his club learned he chanted racist abuse at a woman in a kebab shop before assaulting a police officer on a drunken “lads night out”.

Wealdstone FC midfielder Michael Corcoran, 28, from Lynton Close, drank almost a gallon of beer before launching the abusive tirade at Michelle Kwarteng at Kebab Zero in Shoreditch at about 11pm on April 22 last year. When police were called, he shoved a female officer.

He was convicted of racially aggravated harrassment and assaulting a police officer at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

On Monday, Wealdstone FC said they have suspended Corcoran and are now considering “what longer term action is appropriate” after the Brent&Kilburn Times contacted them for comment on their player’s behaviour. The club’s spokesman said: “Wealdstone FC abhors racism and is taking this matter very seriously.”

The former Cardiff player and Northern Ireland Under-21s captain, stared into Ms Kwarteng’s eyes while singing a song using the N-word along with three friends at the kebab shop. Ms Kwarteng was shocked by the incident and called police. She pointed the former Oxford United player out to Pc Tracey Chapman, but when she tried to arrest him he shoved her aside and sprinted away along the pavement.

You may also want to watch:

As he ran from police, Corcoran hit a car and had to be treated for minor injuries. He denied a charge of using racial abuse but was found guilty.

Sentencing him to 220 hours unpaid work and ordering him to pay £1,085 in fines and costs at Thames Magistrates’ Court, Judge Sonia Sims said: “When the drink is in, the wit is out.” She added: “It was loutish and offensive behaviour.”

Most Read

Corcoran must pay £150 compensation to Pc Chapman and £100 to Ms Kwarteng.

In January last year, Corcoran spoke to the Times when he first joined Wealdstone FC.

He told reporter Jon Batham that he was “naturally vocal” and was chatty by nature.

A spokesman for Wealdstone FC said: “Following confirmation of the verdict, the player was withdrawn from this weekend’s match against Eastbourne Borough.

“The Wealdstone Football Club is now considering what longer term action is appropriate.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter