Report claims there are 280 sex offenders living in Brent
- Credit: Archant
There are 280 registered sex offenders living in Brent – the seventh highest number out of all the London boroughs, a new report has revealed.
The figures come from the government-backed Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements, which was published on Friday.
It states there are more than 7,000 registered sex offenders living across the capital with four per cent living in Brent.
An NSPCC spokesman said: “It’s good that more of these individuals are being put on the list of registered sex offenders but it’s worrying that this is such a prolific problem, as many of these offenders will be paedophiles.
“In just 10 years, the number of registered sex offenders has risen by 73 per cent and these latest figures mean that nearly one in every 1,000 people in England and Wales is on the register.
You may also want to watch:
“A trend towards more survivors of sex abuse being willing to come forward is encouraging. But there is no room for complacency and it is important to report signs of sexual abuse when they occur.”
- 1 Immigration status forces Brent homeless back on the streets
- 2 Raheem Sterling sends good luck message ahead of Wembley Super League
- 3 Indian food store opens second outlet in Kensal Green
- 4 New Italian restaurant licence in Kensal Green approved
- 5 The Old Bell reopens in Kilburn with a much larger beer garden
- 6 Queen's Park schoolboy loses leukaemia fight
- 7 Four further arrests in connection with Sven Badzak stabbing
- 8 Litter crusader launches mission to clean up Wembley
- 9 Cancer Black Care saved from closure with new funding
- 10 Man taken to hospital following fire in Willesden