Queen’s Park man, 67, jailed for raping woman 30 years ago
- Credit: Central News
A retired concierge who carried out a double rape attack in Queen’s Park 30 years ago has been jailed for eight years today.
Lyndon ‘Sweet Pea’ Plummer, 67, of Bravington Road, Queen’s Park, was reported to by his victim in July 2011 after she bumped into him at a wake at a pub in the Harrow Road.
Southwark Crown Court heard Plummer forced himself on his 20-year-old victim, who is now in her 50s and from South Yorks, twice between January and August 1983.
Relatives of the victim noticed Plummer ‘staring’ at the mother-of-two at the wake, before ‘tempers frayed’.
Prosecutor Alisdair Smith said Plummer paid no heed to his victim’s desperate pleas for him to stop during the attacks which took place a month apart.
The second rape happened after a day at the Notting Hill Carnival.
During cross examination, Plummer agreed she was ‘an attractive young woman’ but insisted he did not make any advances to her because he was ‘more or less in a relationship at the time.’
- 1 QPR ground name to revert to Loftus Road for 2022-23
- 2 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 3 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 4 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 5 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 6 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 9 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 10 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
He claimed the rape claims were only made after he was assaulted at the denying attacking the victim, insisting she was ‘too young’ for him and ‘not his type’.
But a jury of eight men and four women convicted him of two counts of rape after deliberating for just over five hours.
Plummer has a string of previous convictions including theft, drug possession, fraud, causing actual bodily harm and assaulting a police officer.
He will be freed after serving half his sentence and be on the Sex Offenders Register for the rest of his life.