Brent second highest failure of police 999 response times across all of London
- Credit: MPS
Police in Brent have London’s second worst average response time to 999 calls, new figures reveal.
Data from the mayor of London’s office show the Met is regularly failing to meet a 15-minute response time target for 999 calls, including those where there is an immediate risk to life.
During September, Brent had an average response time of 19 minutes and 15 seconds to the most urgent phone calls, categorised as “I” calls, after Kingston – where police took 22 minutes and 15 seconds.
It is only one of three boroughs that did not hit targets for four consecutive months, from June to September.
Caroline Pidgeon, the Lib Dem London Assembly Member who tabled questions to the mayor on response figures, said: “In the past, the Met claimed that they were at least prioritising the most important crimes reported, yet even this is not the case.
You may also want to watch:
“These response times come on top of the time it takes simply to get through to the police in the first place.”
She added: “Sadly the public can face long delays in even having the phone answered, as I recently highlighted to the mayor.
- 1 Brent Council writes off nearly £2m owed in bad debts
- 2 Female-only massage clinic opens in Harlesden
- 3 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 4 Kilburn welcomes back eager gym-goers
- 5 Man wanted in connection with Kings Cross sex assault
- 6 Hope for the Welsh Harp
- 7 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 8 Kilburn High Road traders see a slow return to business on April 12
- 9 Prospect House eviction: Families struggle to move out
- 10 We didn't stand up insists QPR boss Warburton in Rotherham defeat
“Last week claims were made at City Hall that the problems with 999 calls were due to exceptional factors, such as pressures from the World Cup and severe hot weather. Whatever the pressures the Met are under, the most urgent 999 calls must be properly dealt with.”
Wembley Crime Prevention, a charity working with the Met and Brent Council, fears the situation won’t be improving any time soon.
Chief exec Keith Harwood said: “The new tri-borough system between Brent, Barnet and Harrow is in the very early process of transition.
“Brent [will] expect to face extreme difficulties and changes ahead due to managing their ongoing budget cuts.”
He added: “The already and continuing closure of our police stations and reduced police officer and staff numbers upon our streets will naturally also add in towards the lack of response call times.
“The police are facing very difficult times ahead and our community are the ones that shall regretfully take the impact of all these significant changes.”
Scotland Yard has not responded to the Kilburn Times’ requests for comment.