Police given four more days to quiz terror suspects
- Credit: Archant
Four suspected Islamist terrorists could be held in custody until Sunday as detectives continue to question them.
Counter-terror teams made a series of arrests in a dramatic operation in London at the weekend, including one swoop where marksmen used special ammunition to stop a car on Mansell Street, near the Tower of London.
Scotland Yard officers were yesterday granted warrants of further detention by Wesminster Magistrates’ Court and now have four more days to quiz the four men.
Two, both aged 25, were held after the stop in Mansell Street. One of them is a British national of Turkish origin, while the other is a British national of Algerian origin.
A 29-year-old, a British national of Pakistani origin, was arrested in Peckham Hill Street, during the MI5-assisted operation.
You may also want to watch:
CCTV footage emerged of police tackling the fourth suspect on upmarket Westbourne Grove in west London.
The black-and-white footage, captured by the 65 & King bar and obtained by ITV News, shows a number of officers wrestle the 28-year-old man, a British national of Azerbaijani origin, to the ground outside the Planet Organic store at around 7pm on Sunday before four cars swoop in.
- 1 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 2 Pictures: Snow arrives covering Gladstone Park and Neasden Temple
- 3 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 4 Brent investigating implications of traffic measures court ruling
- 5 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 6 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
- 7 Wembley grandmother who survived Covid thanks live-in carer
- 8 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 9 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 10 Brent residents face £100 council tax hike for Band D property
All the men have been detained on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism and are being questioned at a police station in south London.