Police given four more days to quiz terror suspects
- Credit: Archant
Four suspected Islamist terrorists could be held in custody until Sunday as detectives continue to question them.
Counter-terror teams made a series of arrests in a dramatic operation in London at the weekend, including one swoop where marksmen used special ammunition to stop a car on Mansell Street, near the Tower of London.
Scotland Yard officers were yesterday granted warrants of further detention by Wesminster Magistrates’ Court and now have four more days to quiz the four men.
Two, both aged 25, were held after the stop in Mansell Street. One of them is a British national of Turkish origin, while the other is a British national of Algerian origin.
A 29-year-old, a British national of Pakistani origin, was arrested in Peckham Hill Street, during the MI5-assisted operation.
You may also want to watch:
CCTV footage emerged of police tackling the fourth suspect on upmarket Westbourne Grove in west London.
The black-and-white footage, captured by the 65 & King bar and obtained by ITV News, shows a number of officers wrestle the 28-year-old man, a British national of Azerbaijani origin, to the ground outside the Planet Organic store at around 7pm on Sunday before four cars swoop in.
- 1 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 2 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 3 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 4 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 5 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 6 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 7 More images released after 'violence and disorder' at Euro 2020 final at Wembley
- 8 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 9 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 10 Tom Dean wins second Tokyo 2020 gold with 4x200m relay victory
All the men have been detained on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism and are being questioned at a police station in south London.