Police given four more days to quiz terror suspects
- Credit: Archant
Four suspected Islamist terrorists could be held in custody until Sunday as detectives continue to question them.
Counter-terror teams made a series of arrests in a dramatic operation in London at the weekend, including one swoop where marksmen used special ammunition to stop a car on Mansell Street, near the Tower of London.
Scotland Yard officers were yesterday granted warrants of further detention by Wesminster Magistrates’ Court and now have four more days to quiz the four men.
Two, both aged 25, were held after the stop in Mansell Street. One of them is a British national of Turkish origin, while the other is a British national of Algerian origin.
A 29-year-old, a British national of Pakistani origin, was arrested in Peckham Hill Street, during the MI5-assisted operation.
You may also want to watch:
CCTV footage emerged of police tackling the fourth suspect on upmarket Westbourne Grove in west London.
The black-and-white footage, captured by the 65 & King bar and obtained by ITV News, shows a number of officers wrestle the 28-year-old man, a British national of Azerbaijani origin, to the ground outside the Planet Organic store at around 7pm on Sunday before four cars swoop in.
- 1 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 2 QPR boss Warburton says they will be prepared for a strong Rotherham side
- 3 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 4 Brent Council worker Vithun Illankovan on his time in The Circle
- 5 Hope for the Welsh Harp
- 6 Pubs in Kensal reopen after Covid lockdown
- 7 Homeless in Brent, Covid and Ramadan support
- 8 Shops, hairdressers, pub gardens and gyms reopen today
- 9 Six years ago today, it was knocked down - next week the Carlton reopens
- 10 Brent mother of murdered schoolboy Quamari urges public to report knife crime
All the men have been detained on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism and are being questioned at a police station in south London.