Pensioner taken to hospital after trying to help man tackle robber of EE store in Kilburn High Road
- Credit: Archant
An elderly woman was taken to hospital after being injured when a robber burst out of a phone shop in Kilburn High Road on Saturday morning.
The raid on the EE store near Kilburn High Road station took place in broad daylight at about 11.45am, with one witness saying “the whole place was smashed up”.
“There was nothing left in the shop,” said Amanda Moran, 50, who was passing by and saw the unfolding scene.
“A man was inside with staff and another man was holding the door from the outside trying to stop the robber coming out.
“He was holding his small child in the other arm.
“But the robber pushed so hard from inside the man fell over.
“An old lady who must have been in her 80s tried to get the little child out of the way and she went ‘smack’ and hit the back of her head on the ground.”
- 1 QPR ground name to revert to Loftus Road for 2022-23
- 2 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 3 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 4 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 5 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 6 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 7 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 8 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 9 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
The robber then ran off leaving the whole shop “trashed” and is believed to still be at large.
Amanda said police arrived within minutes, as did medics, who began treating the elderly woman on the street.
“She didn’t want to go to hospital,” said Amanda.
“But eventually she did. I’d love to know if she’s alright.
“Other people were just gawping and pushing people out of the way to see.
“I don’t go up there anymore because I’ve lived in Kilburn my whole life and I know what it’s like.”
A London Ambulance Service spokesperson told the Times: “We were called at 10:49am to Kilburn High Road to reports of an incident.
“We sent an ambulance crew to the scene. We treated a woman and took her to hospital.”
An EE spokesperson added: “We can confirm there was an incident at our Kilburn High Road store on Saturday 17th November. We’d like to thank the emergency services for their incredible support and wish the customer a speedy recovery.”
A Scotland Yard spokesperson told the Times police had no record of the robbery.