Paddington bodybuilder to stand trial in the New Year accused of hit-and-run Bentley death crash in Notting Hill
- Credit: © Facebook
A Romanian bodybuilder from Paddington who is accused of mowing down and killing a young landscape gardener in a £120,000 Bentley will face trial in the New Year.
George Claudiu Albu, 31, of Porchester Road, allegedly fled the scene after hitting 23 year-old Christopher Jones in Notting Hill on August 6 this year.
Mr Jones, who worked for the landscaping firm Quadron, was directing traffic around his broken down truck at the time of the collision in Pembridge Villas, it is said.
It is claimed police had spoken to Mr Jones earlier that night and were satisfied that he was wearing a high-visibility jacket and was standing in a well-lit area.
The Bentley Continental collided with Mr Jones and his vehicle at 11.50pm and he was pronounced dead at the scene at around one 1am.
You may also want to watch:
Yesterday Albu appeared in Southwark Crown Court via videolink from Wormwood Scrubs sporting a white t-shirt.
He spoke only to confirm his identity and has yet to enter pleas to charges of death by dangerous driving, driving without insurance, and failing to stop at the scene of a collision.
- 1 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 2 New QPR signing Moses Odubajo's story so far
- 3 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 4 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 5 Head of school attended by Tom Dean, Zadie Smith and Rachel Yankey set to retire
- 6 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 7 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 8 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 9 Petition launched to declare Brent a Right To Food borough
- 10 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
When asked if Albu admitted driving the luxury motor at the time of the collision Franco Fizzano, for Albu, said he ‘doubts very much it is going to be disputed’.
Albu was remanded in custody ahead of a plea and case management hearing on November 3.
A trial date has been fixed for January 25 for the case that is expected to last for four days.