Neasden man jailed following ‘day of action’ weapons sweep by Met constables and volunteers
- Credit: Archant
A Neasden man has been jailed for a year after a weapons sweep in London saw five knives, a gun and drugs seized.
Martin Cioubotar, 30, of no fixed address, was arrested during a day of action between Met constables and volunteers on May 16.
He pleaded guilty to possession of an offensive weapon and a pointed blade at Willesden Magistrates’ Court on Monday (May 18) and was jailed for 12 months.
Officers from the Stonebridge and Kensal Green Safer Neighbourhoods teams were on patrol when they saw Ciubotar with a large metal bar in his hand and appearing to act aggressively.
As they approached him, he dropped the pole, was detained, and a kitchen knife found on him following a search.
You may also want to watch:
More than 420 police officers from a number of specialist teams and 150 volunteers took to the streets, roads and parks during the day of action.
As well as 12 arrests there were 61 weapons sweeps and 341 groups dispersed people encouraged to return home as lockdown rules were explained.
- 1 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 4 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 7 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 8 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 9 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 10 'Cowardly' government accused by Brent MP of siding with 'bad bosses'
Commander Catherine Roper, said: “The day of action with the special constables and volunteers had a real impact and produced some great results in making London safer.”
To volunteer for the next day of action with constables on June 13 visit www.met.police.uk/careers/