Mother of pupil, 10, attacked by headteacher in school in Kingsbury says he should have been jailed

Gower House School in Kingsbury (Pic credit: Adam Thomas)

Gower House School in Kingsbury (Pic credit: Adam Thomas) - Credit: Archant

The mother of a child who was attacked by his headteacher at a private school in Kingsbury has spoken out after he walked free from court.

Martyn Keane is still listed as the school's headteacher on its website

Martyn Keane is still listed as the school's headteacher on its website - Credit: Archant

The parent, who we cannot name for legal reasons, has spoken exclusively to the Times after Martyn Keane avoided jail after he admitted assaulting her son at Gower House School in Blackbird Hill.

The10-year-old was left traumatised after Keane, who has since left his role, grabbed him by his tie and pulled it, which resulted in him falling and banging his head on a desk on September 9 last year.

Last Friday, the 68-year-old, who lives in Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, appeared before Willesden Magistrates’ Court, where he pleaded guilty to assault.

He was given a condition discharge, ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £15 and court costs of £85.

He was not ordered to pay his victim any compensation.

The mother, who also has a second child at Gower House, said: “It’s a disgrace he has been allowed to walk free from court.

Most Read

“He should have been sent to jail. If he wasn’t a headteacher and he had attacked my son he would have gone to jail.

“What message does this send out?”

Following the incident at the school, which charges more than £2,000 per term, education watchdog Ofsted carried out an emergency inspection resulting in a damning report.

The school was slammed for having inadequate safeguarding measures for children and a lack of an anti-bullying policy.

Other criticisms include that parts of the school building was in a state of disrepair and an increased fire risk due to a lack of important electrical tests being carried out.

Inspectors also discovered that’s some members of staff had not been vetted properly to ensure they were suitable to work with children.

The mother said she will withdraw both her children out of the school at the end of the academic year.

The Times exclusively revealed the allegations against Keane last December but were unable to name him or the school due to reporting restrictions.

The restrictions were partially lifted last week.

The Times has contacted Gower House for a comment.

Related link: Brent teacher charged with attacking pupil

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter