Moped robber jailed for five and a half years for smash-and-grab raid in Kingsbury
- Credit: Archant
A member of an axe-wielding moped gang that carried out a smash-and-grab raid on a jeweller’s in Kingsbury has been sentenced to five and a half years in prison.
Lookman Shekoni, 24, from Lambeth, was pulled off his moped by an angry crowd of shop owners after the raid on a jeweller’s shop in Kingsbury Road on September 7 this year.
Appearing at Harrow Crown Court today, Shekoni was sentenced to five and a half years in prison after pleading guilty to being part of an eight-man gang who robbed around £400,000 worth of Asian gold jewellery after smashing the shop front with axes, a large metal ram and hammers.
Passers-by captured video footage of neighbours throwing crates at Shekoni and pulling him to the ground as he tried to flee on his moped.
During the ensuing scuffle he punched a man in the face but was eventually overpowered by crowds until police arrived to arrest him.
You may also want to watch:
Shekoni was also handed a concurrent 36 week sentence after pleading guilty to stealing £20,000 of designer glasses from an opticians on St John’s Wood High Street during a night time raid in August this year.
Detective Inspector Scott Hartley from the Met Police Flying Squad said: “Shekoni was pulled off his moped while trying to flee the scene by members of the public appalled at what was taking place in their community.
- 1 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 2 Two arrested in connection with fatal Neasden stabbing
- 3 Brent councillor calls for improved social distancing in supermarkets
- 4 Wembley tutor takes to Instagram to help with homeschooling
- 5 Man dies after stabbing in Brent
- 6 Fourteen fined for lockdown breach after car meet in Park Royal
- 7 QPR have match postponed at home to Wycombe due to Covid-19 precautions
- 8 Interactive Harlesden exhibition aims to make art more accessible
- 9 Wealdstone boss Brennan dubbed Gloucester City a 'very ambitious' club
- 10 Woman dies after she was found collapsed in Barham Park
“While we would never encourage people to get involved directly in this way, I would like to commend the brave actions of passers-by that led to Shekoni being promptly arrested. They acted with little regard for their own safety, intent on catching those who had carried out such a brazen robbery in broad daylight.”
Police are continuing to appeal for information about seven other suspects who carried out the targeted raid.
Anyone with information about the remaining suspects should call the Flying Squad on 020 8785 8655 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.