Man jailed for life for racist stabbing in Paddington
- Credit: Archant
A racist thug who slashed a shopkeeper’s neck in his store in Paddington leaving him millimetres from death has been jailed for life.
Andrew Jefferson, 53, yelled ‘you f*****g foreigners, coming to the UK to poison the British people’ before knifing Hilmi Uludag at Padiciya Wine on London Street, on October 18 last year.
The victim was left with slashes to the throat that required 12 stitches and cuts to his chin and leg.
Southwark Crown Court heard the wounds severed the nerves in his face and he was lucky to survive the frenzy.
Turkish national Mr Uludag had sold Jefferson two cans of beer between 10.30 and 11.00 that evening.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Uludag said: “He said nothing, no words at all.
“He didn’t even say a word, he took the bag he was just looking at me, not even one word and he just walked out.”
- 1 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 2 Brent investigating implications of traffic measures court ruling
- 3 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 4 Pictures: Snow arrives covering Gladstone Park and Neasden Temple
- 5 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 6 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
- 7 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 8 Wembley grandmother who survived Covid thanks live-in carer
- 9 Brent residents face £100 council tax hike for Band D property
- 10 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
But Jefferson was suffering from a delusion that the beer sold to him was poisoned.
Two hours later Jefferson returned with a small black-handled kitchen knife stuffed up his jumper walked behind the counter of the shop and attacked the shopkeeper.
Mr Uludag said: “I was screaming, I was saying “I have been stabbed, I have been stabbed”. “
His nerves were severed from a cut to the chin and he remains unsure if they will grow again.
Jefferson was found guilty of attempted murder in March after admitting the lesser charge of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
Judge Martin Beddoe sentenced Jefferson, who is currently held in a secure mental health facility, to life imprisonment and ordered he serve at least 10 years.
Jefferson appeared in the dock surrounded by three mental health professionals and will remain in a medium-secure unit before moving to prison if treatment is successful.