Man arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder Abdul Hadi Arwani also held on suspicion of terrorism offences as police arrest woman,53
- Credit: Archant
Counter terrorism officers investigating the death of Syrian preacher Abdul Hadi Arwani have arrested a 53-year-old woman and have further arrested a 61-year-old man on suspicion of terrorism offences following his arrest on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder yesterday.
The woman, 53, was arrested in Brent yesterday on suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of acts of terrorism. She remains in custody at a south London police station.
Police also confirmed they continue to question a 61-year-old man on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder and have further arrested him on suspicion of terrorism offences following the death of Abdul Hadi Arwani.
The father-of-six, an outspoken critic of the Assad regime in Syria, was found shot dead in a car in The Greenhill, at the junction of The Paddocks, on April 7.
Detectives also continue to carry out searches of two addresses, including the An Noor Cultural and Community Centre in Acton, west London, which is the mosque where Mr Arwani previously served as imam from 2005-2011.
You may also want to watch:
Today,Leslie Cooper, 36, of Nightingale Road, Harlesden, is due to appear at the Old Bailey charged with Mr Arwani’s murder.
- 1 Brent Council worker Vithun Illankovan on his time in The Circle
- 2 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 3 Homeless in Brent, Covid and Ramadan support
- 4 Brent mother of murdered schoolboy Quamari urges public to report knife crime
- 5 QPR boss Warburton praises hard-working Dykes
- 6 Lessons from the Covid pandemic: we need a revolution!
- 7 Six years ago today, it was knocked down - next week the Carlton reopens
- 8 Wembley Stadium wins approval to hold more events
- 9 Brent arts organisations awarded over £1m in Covid recovery funding
- 10 Brent Council to issue water bill refunds to council tenants