Maida Vale student cleared of voyeurism
Jurors heard friend asked him to secretly film sex romp
THREE students accused of secretly filming a sex romp involving a female scholar as a ‘funny prank’ were cleared of of voyeurism yesterday (Wednesday).
Shabar Hussain, 21, of Sutherland Avenue, Maida Vale, and Lemar Garcia, 20, from east London, hid under the bed of 24-year-old George Iaponas and filmed him having intercourse with the woman.
The act is said to have taken place in Iaponas’s room at the University of Westminster halls of residence where they all studied.
Snaresbrook Crown Court heard that when the horrified woman discovered Garcia and Hussain had been under the bed, Iaponas suggested a ‘threesome’ and later threatened to upload the movie on social networking site Facebook if she reported him.
You may also want to watch:
Iaponas had told jurors he invited Garcia and Hussain to hide under his bed on February 17 last year after wooing the student through Facebook.
He said: “I think I was just being big headed and I wanted to prove a point that I can get the girl if I want.
- 1 Two arrested in connection with fatal Neasden stabbing
- 2 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 3 Man dies after stabbing in Brent
- 4 Fourteen fined for lockdown breach after car meet in Park Royal
- 5 Brent councillor calls for improved social distancing in supermarkets
- 6 MP Dawn Butler: Support available to get through lockdown
- 7 Wembley tutor takes to Instagram to help with homeschooling
- 8 Dozens 'found breaching Covid restrictions' at shisha cafe
- 9 Woman dies after she was found collapsed in Barham Park
- 10 'Distress' as eggs thrown at ambulances in Neasden
“I told [Garcia and Hussain] this was going to happen, [that] me and her were about to have sex in my room.”
Iaponas said his friends gave the game away by ‘laughing their heads off’ while he had sex with the woman, prompting him to offer her a ‘threesome’.
Garcia and Hussain said they only took digital stills of each other laughing and giggling but prosecutors claimed all three gained ‘sexual gratification’ from filming Iaponas.
Garcia admitted uploading footage to his laptop computer.
But the trio insisted the incident was just a ‘prank’.
On Tuesday, all three men, who were expelled by the university, were cleared but Judge Martyn Zeidman branded their behaviour as disgusting.
He added: “I hope that the defendants have learned a lesson - women must be respected.”