Maida Vale man on trial for Marcel Addai murder in Hoxton

Marcel Addai was stabbed to death last year

Marcel Addai was stabbed to death last year - Credit: Archant

A man from Maida Vale is accused of taking part in a murder where a teenager was hunted down and stabbed to death in Hoxton.

Rikell Rogers, 22, of Goldney Road, is claimed to have been one of seven gang members who shouted ‘I’m gonna f*** you up, bruv’ at Marcel Addai before he was killed.

The Old bailey heard the 18-year-old, who lived in Hoxton, sustained 12 stab wounds, some of which were 10cm deep on September 4 last year.

Rogers is on trial alongside Sodiq Adebayo, 23, from Ilford; Akeem Gbadamosi, 22, from Clapton; Eugene Ocran, 19, from Haggerston; Momar Faye, 18, of no fixed address; David Oladimeji, 21, from Ilford and Sheku Jalloh, 23, from Shoreditch.

All deny murder.

Jurors heard Mr Addaim was a member of the Hoxton Boys gang and his death has been linked to rivals the Fellows Court Gang.

Prosecutor Mark Haywood told the jury neighbours heard the “sound of violence” at about 10pm after three cars – a Mercedes, Vauxhall and BMW – parked up in the same order as CCTV had recorded them travelling minutes before.

Most Read

Mr Haywood said: “Those inside, or some of them, got out. Accounts vary between three and seven people. There was also one account suggesting one remained in control of a car.

“It was a joint and lethal purpose. There were shouts and screams. Marcel Addai was desperate to get away. He zig-zagged left and right, as if to escape.

“He moved towards the St John’s Estate pathway. He tripped, or was pushed. They surrounded him. What followed can only be described as a totally brutal and ferocious attack.

“The common purpose and intent can be shown with the words, ‘I’m gonna f*** you up, bruv.’ These were heard at least three times during the early stages.

“There were multiple strikes, one overarm with a tapered-style kitchen knife 10 to 12 inches long. Mr Addai is described as curling in a foetal position to protect himself. It finished almost as quickly as it began.

“The car engines were still running [as the attackers made their getaway]. Mr Addai got to his feet to move away but dropped to the floor. In reality, despite the best efforts of those who tended to him, he was beyond help.”

A knife, said to belong to Mr Addai, was found near the scene. “If it was his, he certainly had no opportunity to use it,” Mr Haywood said.

Mr Addai was pronounced dead at 11.47pm. He sustained 14 separate injuires: 12 stab wounds and two slash wounds.

The trial continues.