Life-long pet ban for Cricklewood man who failed to get vet treatment for his scalded dog

Georgie the Staffordshire bull terrier before Paul Brown was banned for life from looking after anim

Georgie the Staffordshire bull terrier before Paul Brown was banned for life from looking after animals after she was found with untreated scolding wounds, that hot liquid had been poured on her body - Credit: Archant

A Cricklewood man has been banned for life from keeping animals after the Staffordshire bull terrier he was caring for was founded with untreated scalds all over her face and body.

Georgie has made a full recovery from her ordeal

Georgie has made a full recovery from her ordeal - Credit: Archant

Paul Brown, 54, of Walm Lane, pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to the female dog, now called Girlie, by failing to seek professional veterinary care for the wounds on her body.

The RSPCA were called to his property in February and found the pup, thought to be two-years old, collapsed on a blanket in the garden with severe wounds and her skin “literally hanging off”.

Although there was no evidence to link Brown with actually pouring hot liquid on her, or who might have done this, the injuries looked deliberate.

Nicole Broster, an RSPCA inspector said: “I will never forget the shock I felt when I walked into the garden and found Girlie. I still cannot believe anyone could leave a dog in that condition.

You may also want to watch:

“She had scalds covering at least a third of her body and large areas of her skin were simply peeling off, leaving infected wounds and pink skin underneath. She must have been in enormous pain and suffering terribly.

“She was very lethargic and depressed, and the vet confirmed she had collapsed due to clinical shock. I had to physically pick her up in my arms and carry her but as I did so her skin came away in my hands and stuck to my clothing. It was truly heartbreaking.”

Most Read

Girlie was taken straight to a vet for treatment who told the RSPCA that the wounds “most likely originated from someone pouring or throwing hot water from a kettle or pan straight over her face and down her body.”

Since rehomed to a new family after her previous owners handed her over to the charity, Girlie has recovered but must wear a t-shirt to protect her from sunburn. Brown said he was looking after Girlie for two weeks for a friend while they were undergoing house renovations. He did not contact the owners and ignored their efforts to contact him.

As well as the disqualification, Brown was sentenced to a 12 month community order involving 150 hours of unpaid work and made to pay £500 costs and £60 victim surcharge.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter