Kilburn warned about council tax scammers
Con-artists are pretending to be council tax officials offering refunds
Kilburn residents are being urged not to hand out personal details over the phone after scammers pretending to be council tax officials tricked residents across London into handing over their personal details.
The con-artists call and email people claiming to be from the council tax head office in London offering refunds of hundreds of pounds.
They trick people into handing out personal details, including their bank account numbers.
As part of the scam, three phone numbers have been given to people who want more information about their supposed refunds – 0208 123 0965, 0203 286 1358 and 0208 123 2739.
But the numbers are in no way connected to council tax collection in Camden.
Cllr Abdul Hai, Camden Council cabinet member for community safety, said: “It pays to be extra vigilant, especially when being asked for personal information.
- 1 Man arrested after woman's rape allegation in Neasden
- 2 Neasden pub refused late licence amid fears around crime
- 3 Rogue Wembley HGV trainer sentenced after selling non-existent training
- 4 Most wanted: 6 people sought in connection with 10 robberies across London
- 5 Road closed after man's death in Willesden
- 6 Plea date set for men accused of fatal stabbing in Neasden
- 7 Two charged after police discharge taser during Kingsbury vehicle stop
- 8 2 men attacked by group after fight breaks out at Queensbury Tube Station
- 9 Former bingo hall in Burnt Oak to become co-working and co-living space
- 10 Harlesden shop fire 'caused by barbecue'
“Anyone who is unsure about the validity of a call or e-mail claiming to be on behalf of the Council should get in touch with us before they give out any information.”
Anyone with concerns about their Council Tax should call Camden Council on 0207 974 6470.
To report a scam call Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06