Kilburn warned about council tax scammers
Con-artists are pretending to be council tax officials offering refunds
Kilburn residents are being urged not to hand out personal details over the phone after scammers pretending to be council tax officials tricked residents across London into handing over their personal details.
The con-artists call and email people claiming to be from the council tax head office in London offering refunds of hundreds of pounds.
They trick people into handing out personal details, including their bank account numbers.
As part of the scam, three phone numbers have been given to people who want more information about their supposed refunds – 0208 123 0965, 0203 286 1358 and 0208 123 2739.
You may also want to watch:
But the numbers are in no way connected to council tax collection in Camden.
Cllr Abdul Hai, Camden Council cabinet member for community safety, said: “It pays to be extra vigilant, especially when being asked for personal information.
- 1 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 2 Third stabbing in Neasden as murder investigation under way
- 3 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 4 Man arrested in connection with Neasden murder and two stabbings
- 5 Wembley grandmother who survived Covid thanks live-in carer
- 6 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 7 Pensioner dies after crashing into a wall in Kenton
- 8 Disabled Wembley cyclist calls for more inclusivity on Brent's roads
- 9 Wembley tutor takes to Instagram to help with homeschooling
- 10 Two arrested in connection with fatal Neasden stabbing
“Anyone who is unsure about the validity of a call or e-mail claiming to be on behalf of the Council should get in touch with us before they give out any information.”
Anyone with concerns about their Council Tax should call Camden Council on 0207 974 6470.
To report a scam call Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06