Kilburn landlord from hell fined and served with an Asbo
Catherine Boyle risked the lives of tenants living in her property in Iverson Road
A resident landlord from hell who put her tenants’ lives at risk by ignoring safety regulations has become the first in the UK to be served with an Asbo.
Catherine Boyle, who lived alongside her tenants in her property in Iverson Road, Kilburn, is banned from causing harassment, alarm or distress to her tenants, entering their rooms without their consent, and cutting off their gas and electricity supply.
The Asbo lasts for two years.
Action was taken against the 59-year-old after she was convicted of failing to carry out works specified in an Improvement Notice and four breaches of fire-related House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) regulations.
You may also want to watch:
Despite previous warnings she continued to provide her tenants with non-fire retardant furniture.
On Tuesday, Highbury Magistrates Court heard Boyle, who was cautioned for assaulting one of her tenants in August 2010, was served with an Improvement Notice by Camden Council in April last year.
- 1 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 4 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 5 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 6 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 7 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 8 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 9 'Cowardly' government accused by Brent MP of siding with 'bad bosses'
- 10 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
The notice ordered her to carry out extensive works to deal with excess cold, entry by intruders, damp, fire food safety, and falls by that November.
However the work had not been done when council inspectors visited the property in January this year.
Her deadline was extended but when inspectors returned in May they discovered the fire detection and alarm system were not connected to a power supply, fire doors were inadequate and furniture was still non fire-retardant.
The property also had a lack of insulation to the roof and walls and the single glazed windows were in a state of repair allowing for draughts.
She was fined �3,600, ordered to pay the council’s prosecution costs of �4459.60 and a �15 victim support levy.
She has also been ordered to carry out the work by March next year.
Councillor Julian Fulbrook, Camden Council’s cabinet member for housing, said: “Living in a cold damp home has a negative impact on people’s health including increased risk of hypothermia, respiratory illness, heart attack and strokes, underweight infants, social isolation and financial stress.
“We inspect all our HMOs regularly to make sure they comply with all health and safety regulations so that tenants are safe in their homes. In the most serious cases we have the power to revoke an HMO licence and take over the running of the properties ourselves.”