Jailed: Tube driver from Neasden who raped one woman and attacked another in 1994
- Credit: Archant
A Tube driver from Neasden who raped one woman and sexually assaulting another in 1994 when he was a teenager has been jailed for 13 years today.
Russell Chandler, of Chartley Avenue, was a 19 when he attacked his first victim at Mill Hill Broadway Station in May 1994 and a second woman two days later.
Harrow Crown Court heard he was living a respectable life until he was arrested for an unrelated offence earlier in May this year and his DNA proved a match to the two attacks.
Last December, he was found guilty of rape and sexual assault and was sentenced today.
Jurors heard after the attacks the 41-year-old, who grew up in Brent and formerly lived in Watford, took up a soccer scholarship at a US university before returning to be with his girlfriend, who he later married.
You may also want to watch:
During his trial he admitted sexually assaulting the two women, claiming he had done so after he was teased for ‘being a virgin’ by a friend, but had denied raping them.
He told the court he was on his way home in Colindale and had stopped to urinate in the underpass when he saw the woman and pinned her to the ground in a “moment of madness” on May 9, 1994.
- 1 Harlesden couple launch mobile musical funerals during Covid
- 2 Reward offered after drone stolen in Wembley
- 3 Vaccine bus launched in Brent to increase take up
- 4 QPR move into top 10 with win at Middlesbrough despite Dieng dismissal
- 5 Warburton: Dieng played on with broken nose before red card
- 6 Wealdstone thrashed by league leaders Hartlepool United
- 7 Social enterprise boutique gym opening in Queen's Park on May 17
- 8 Olympic Steps to Wembley Stadium unveiled
- 9 Female-only massage clinic opens in Harlesden
- 10 Mixed feelings for residents and workers as crowds return to Wembley
The victim, who was pushed down with her face to the floor and raped sustained scrapes and bruises to her legs during the attack.
He said: “I didn’t know what I was doing. It was an out of body experience.”
His second victim was sexually assaulted by Chandler on May 11, 1994, near the first attack.
A cold case review in 2005 drew no new clues until Chandler’s arrest .
He was sentenced to 13 years for the rape and nine years for the attempted rape.
The sentences will run concurrently and must sign the Sex Offenders Register for life.