Jailed for 14 years: Man convicted of armed robberies on banks in Swiss Cottage and Camden
- Credit: Archant
A man who carried out six armed robberies on banks across London including branches in Swiss Cottage and Camden has been jailed for 22 years today.
Jason Byrne, 45, from Kilburn, stole a total of £38,900 from the branches and four others in Notting Hill, Kensington, Shepherds Bush and The Strand between April 1 and August 8 last year.
Kingston Crown Court heard he threatened cashiers with a gun whilst demanding they hand over cash.
His lookouts John Monaghan, 54, from Kilburn, and Paul Wiltshire, 47, of no fixed address, were jailed for 14 and 10 years respectively.
They had both admitted their involvement in a total of four of the robberies.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives from the Met’s Flying Squad launched ‘Operation Buzzsaw’ to find the culprits resulting in Byrne and Wiltshire being arrested as they targeted an HSBC branch in Shepherds Bush Green.
Both Byrne and Wiltshire were found with an imitation gun, two knives and a rucksack containing £4,500.
- 1 Immigration status forces Brent homeless back on the streets
- 2 Raheem Sterling sends good luck message ahead of Wembley Super League
- 3 Indian food store opens second outlet in Kensal Green
- 4 New Italian restaurant licence in Kensal Green approved
- 5 The Old Bell reopens in Kilburn with a much larger beer garden
- 6 Four further arrests in connection with Sven Badzak stabbing
- 7 Queen's Park schoolboy loses leukaemia fight
- 8 Cancer Black Care saved from closure with new funding
- 9 Litter crusader launches mission to clean up Wembley
- 10 Man taken to hospital following fire in Willesden
Monaghan, who was later identified and arrested, previously pleaded guilty to his involvement in three of the robberies.
Wiltshire admitted his involvement in one incident.
Byrne, who had denied any wrongdoing, was acquitted of carrying out a seventh robbery at a Barclays Bank in Hendon.
Detective Inspector Scott Hartley, from the Met’s Flying Squad, said: “I am pleased that these three criminals have received lengthy prison sentences.
“Operation Buzzsaw was a lengthy operation to identify, target and arrest Byrne and his associates, who showed no signs of slowing down their offending.
“As a result of the diligent and painstaking investigation by the Flying Squad, these criminals now begin considerable prison sentences.”