Jailed for 14 years: Kilburn man who carried out six armed bank robberies
- Credit: Archant
A man from Kilburn who carrying out six armed robberies on banks across London has been jailed for 22 years today.
Jason Byrne, 45, of Carlton Vale, stole a total of £38,900 from branches in Swiss Cottage, Notting Hill, Kensington, Camden, Shepherds Bush and The Strand between April 1 and August 8 last year.
Kingston Crown Court heard he threatened cashiers with a gun whilst demanding they hand over cash.
His lookouts John Monaghan, 54, of Granville Road, Kilburn, and Paul Wiltshire, 47, of no fixed address, were jailed for 14 and 10 years respectively.
They had both admitted their involvement in a total of four of the robberies.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives from the Met’s Flying Squad launched ‘Operation Buzzsaw’ to find the culprits resulting in Byrne and Wiltshire being arrested as they targeted an HSBC branch in Shepherds Bush Green.
Both Byrne and Wiltshire were found with an imitation gun, two knives and a rucksack containing £4,500.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 5 Residents priced out the area they grew up in
- 6 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 7 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 8 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 9 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 10 Man, 40, stabbed to death in Willesden
Monaghan, who was later identified and arrested, previously pleaded guilty to his involvement in three of the robberies.
Wiltshire admitted his involvement in one incident.
Byrne, who had denied any wrongdoing, was acquitted of carrying out a seventh robbery at a Barclays Bank in Hendon.
Detective Inspector Scott Hartley, from the Met’s Flying Squad, said: “I am pleased that these three criminals have received lengthy prison sentences.
“Operation Buzzsaw was a lengthy operation to identify, target and arrest Byrne and his associates, who showed no signs of slowing down their offending.
“As a result of the diligent and painstaking investigation by the Flying Squad, these criminals now begin considerable prison sentences.”