Jail for trio from Essex who posed as BT workers to steal metal in Kilburn
- Credit: Archant
Three thieves from Essex have been jailed for stealing metal to sell for scrap after posing as British Telecom workmen called to a job in Kilburn.
Snaresbrook Crown Court heard Romans Sinicins, 22, Arturs Karklins, 29 and Segei Selskis, 24, all of Harlow, were caught red-handed in Greville Road, by police officers following a tip-off.
Two were found down a manhole dressed in hi-visibility clothing cutting and stealing copper cable and a third was on the street acting as a lookout on August 16 this year.
All three, who are originally from Latvia, admitted theft and criminal damage.
PC Sammi Elfituri from Brent Police, who investigated all three, said: “As the value of scrap copper continues to rise, sadly thieves will look for new and innovative ways to steal this valuable commodity and will target communications infrastructure, giving little or no thought to the consequences of their actions or the danger they put themselves in.
You may also want to watch:
“These offenders travelled into London with the sole intention of committing this crime, they were organised and well prepared.
“I would urge the public to report any suspicious activity or people around manholes by calling 999 or 101 particularly if unsure of their legitimacy. BT uses their own engineers or approved contactors to carry out maintenance work, all of whom have clearly marked vehicles and identification.”
- 1 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 2 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 3 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 4 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 5 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 6 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 7 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 8 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 9 Tom Dean wins second Tokyo 2020 gold with 4x200m relay victory
- 10 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
Once released from prison all three face deportation and being banned from obtaining travel documentation for five years.